Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
1:30 this morning I got up and had a thought. Maybe these tube worms also eat paracites. I have no idea, but my tank is never bothered by paracites even if I put ich infested fish in. I also don't have the equipment to see if this is true but it would be a great boon to this hobby if we could find a natural way of eradicating those little pests while accidently making the water healthier. My tank uses a reverse under gravel filter (yes there are such things) and the gravel is loaded with tiny tube worms. The algae trough is also filled with them so the water doesn't have a choice and must flow past millions of these feathery tentacles every day. I would imagine they would be able to remove paracites from the water. It is just a thought so don't hit me with all sorts of scientific theories from scientists who have never owned a fish tank or gone swimming.
I feed clams every day along with some of their associated clam juice and I am sure this helps promote the lives of these worms. They also act to clean the water of any particles. Every day I stir up the substrait a little with a baster looking thing which I am sure also feeds these guys (or girls).
These tube worms are never discussed but may be why older tanks don't have any problems with diseases, mini cycles, algae or bacterial blooms.
Maybe we don't give tube worms enough credit. It's just a thought.
References:
Me :type:

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't tube worms filter feeders? If they are, then your tube worm trough might be the equivalent of a "bio-sock" filter, a discriminating carbon particulate remover, which I assume includes all sorts of microscopic life.

Wait! You know, I think you just invented a new reef gadget, the tube worm reactor!!! A nice addition to bio-pellets and the refugium. The only problem is the lack of acrylic and valves, but other than that, you got a another winner on your hands.

I do think we have a poor handle on how to reproducibly create a stable and sustainable world for our supporting cast in our tanks. We need to dissect your tank for the answer!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I actually have a brittle star reactor. I built a bio pellet reactor for fun because I think they look cool. But it almost crashed my tank as my reef is not used to technology. So I keep the thing in there empty. It became filled with brittle stars which is so cool. Maybe I will fill it with the tube worms so I can see them better. What a cool idea.
Thanks for giving me the idea.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had to set up a temporary tank for my main tank because of construction. I took the UV sterilizer from my grow out/hospital tank to but in the temporary tank.

Once I did that these worms started to pop up everywhere. I am sure there was an increase in plankton and other organisms because I removed the UV. I don't see why the worms wouldn't grab parasites too. Not just these tube worms but sponges, stars, and bristle worms will all help the water quality.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: