Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Anyone on this forum use TM Bio-Actif salt? I started using it today and have the following observations:

The salt is hard and not loose like most salt brands. I thought there was something wrong with the salt when it mixed cloudy until I read the instruction that it was normal. I mixed it to a water temperature of 80-81 degrees. I did a 75 gallon water change on my 450 gallon system this morning. I was worried at first because of the cloudiness, but an hour after the waterchange, the water cleared. I came back home tonight and noticed that the water is super clear! I didn't even change the carbon or the GFO. I'll try it for about a month to see how the corals react. Don't see any noticeable changes and the skimmer hasn't pushed out more waste that I can see.

Anyone else try it out that wants to comment on their personal observations?

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
I tried it since the last swap.Expensive stuff.Low on the Calcium side but does clean up the water but recommended on larger systems and since mine was a nano,I might of had bacterial issues and mini cycles so I stopped using it.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Did another water change today and used the remaining salt to make a 105 gallon water change. Same this again. Water remained cloudy at first and it took a little longer to clear because of the 30+ gallon more added to this weeks waterchange.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I tried it since the last swap.Expensive stuff.Low on the Calcium side but does clean up the water but recommended on larger systems and since mine was a nano,I might of had bacterial issues and mini cycles so I stopped using it.

Didn't notice any issues with cyano outbreaks using this salt. I clean out my sump and remove as much of the detritus before and new saltwater into the system.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Was about to do another water change today. I had about 5 gallons left of the Bio-Actif salt and added another 115 gallons RO water last week. Opened up the container that I use for waterchanges and it went anaerobic! The bottom of the container was black. Winded up throwing out all of that water away and cleaning out the salt mix container with bleach. Didn't know that it had such a short shelf live. I guess you need to use it right away after mixing overnight.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mac
Same this again. Water remained cloudy at first and it took a little longer

Try if you continue to mix it slower, less added at a time with colder water.

The bottom of the container was black.

Never heard that before on any salt. Is there allot of moisture in this salt. They, like some others, are adding organics and vit's to the salt mix. Not a bright idea IMHO, as a salt mix is to harsh an environment. Their claim of adding organics to get the C up is like so much gibberish, as most reef tanks have way to much DOC to begin with. Then there is your skimmer and GAC, which do what, remove DOC and many carbon based compounds.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Mac
Same this again. Water remained cloudy at first and it took a little longer

Try if you continue to mix it slower, less added at a time with colder water.

The bottom of the container was black.

Never heard that before on any salt. Is there allot of moisture in this salt. They, like some others, are adding organics and vit's to the salt mix. Not a bright idea IMHO, as a salt mix is to harsh an environment. Their claim of adding organics to get the C up is like so much gibberish, as most reef tanks have way to much DOC to begin with. Then there is your skimmer and GAC, which do what, remove DOC and many carbon based compounds.

Stopped using this salt after I used the last of it. It made about 180 gallons of salt.

The salt was already hard and I need to break up the clumps before using it. So there was already alot of moisture in the salt when I opened it up already...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tm bio actif

there is a thread on reef central that hans warner (guy who invented bio actif) is on and he included alot of technical info in the thread I highly reccomend this salt as well it really makes an enormous difference at about the 3rd water change. I run in my nano no issues no blooms corals went from dull to vibrant within weeks no other change and I run a skimmerless system 2x 1.5 gallon per week at 1.026 calcium is 440 phosphates .003 and its worth the cost becuase unlike io it actually mixes 200 gallons at 1.026 io I was getting 120-135

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
there is a thread on reef central that hans warner (guy who invented bio actif) is on and he included alot of technical info in the thread I highly reccomend this salt as well it really makes an enormous difference at about the 3rd water change. I run in my nano no issues no blooms corals went from dull to vibrant within weeks no other change and I run a skimmerless system 2x 1.5 gallon per week at 1.026 calcium is 440 phosphates .003 and its worth the cost becuase unlike io it actually mixes 200 gallons at 1.026 io I was getting 120-135

Can you provide a link to that thread for reading? Thank you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: