scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
alti- i noticed you did one w fishing line?? and the others w/ rubber bands. is that to see which method works best?

i was told rubberbands will kill the tissue. is this correct?

btw another great fragging example. you should make it a slideshow

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Dude, between the working surface and the plugs, it looks like you're making sushi. Next time pick a neutral surface to work on. LOL

Nice step by step.

alti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
scarface,
i just wanted to show a couple ways of doing it. i like the toothpick method as well,but i couldnt find them:) the rubberband will keep damage it a little, but it recovers a few weeks after u remove the rubberband. its a little better for me because the plugs i use have a bowl shape on top and there is little pressure on the coral itself. the rubberband only puts a little pressure on the coral this way. i would makie slide3 shows if i knew how :)

psycho,
the mother colony should be fine in a day or 2. heres a pic of it now.
http://altisreef.com/images/DSC01216.JPG
u can see the little bumps around the edge where new polyps are forming already. i like to use this method becaue it takes alot longer to heal if u cut the whole head off or cut wedges.

attatching depends on a few factors. if u do a clean job on a healthy specimen and place the frags close to where the mother colony was ive seen them attatch as quick as 3 days. if they are stressed during fragging and u change the lighting and fow they are in ive seen them take as ong as 2 weeks to attatch. they should look like little toadstools within a few weeks. heres a pic of one the little ones. excuse the algae. my cameras date was off. this is less than a week after fragging.
http://altisreef.com/images/DSC01217.JPG

deelucky,
im sure it would work for shrooms, but they are a pain to work with so i just slice them any way i can.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Psycho graphic said:
Very nice pictorial!

Three quick questions,

How long before the mother looks back to normal?

How long before the frags take hold to the plugs?

How long before the frags resemble little toadstools?

Enquiring minds want to know....

alti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
glad to hear the pics helped. i make my own frag plugs. the standard cement method takes way too much time to properly cure so i make it with glaze coat pour on epoxy and sand. it still comes out cheaper than buying them online. i get about 600-1000 plugs from every box of epoxy and 1/4 bag of sand. ill try to take pics when o make more next week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: