Wister06

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers

I'm new to this whole saltwater gig and i was given the toadstool that is attached can I chop the mother head off of this and then toothpick it an rubber band it to a large piece of rock?

showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

I know I can frag this into several new toadstools but I'd prefer to leave it as one if possible. an then get him out of the corner where i can get him to stand upright!

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
The most common way to frag a toadstool is to snip off a small piece of the edge (that way the whole coral doesn't look deformed) and then either Put it in a container with substrate/rubble rock to attach itself in 2-3 weeks or to rubber band it to a piece of rock. I have had more success with rubber banding it to rubble rock, whenever I leave it in a container it either floats out or melts before it attaches, my tank does have very high flow so your results may vary.

Wister06

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably be better off trying to frag a piece that is ideal for the area I'm looking to position it then to attempt to chop it down like a tree?

Also is glue a no no when it comes to toadstools?

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
I'd probably be better off trying to frag a piece that is ideal for the area I'm looking to position it then to attempt to chop it down like a tree?

Also is glue a no no when it comes to toadstools?

They can be fragged almost anywhere and regrow as long as a tiny piece of the original coral is still there. Some people have been able to use glue when fragging a toadstool but I never could, everytime I try, it comes loose, I find that they usually slime off. I have used glue to tighten the rubberband so that the toadstool doesn't come loose.

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I would chop at the half way mark the plain stump will also slowly turn into a colony hide it toward the corner or share to someone when it heals and that top head is so big you may not even need to tooth pick just a tuber band and a rock

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: