A

Anonymous

Since Santa brought some unexpected green stuff this year (no, not algae), I decided to step off and get what I've been needing for a long time: an RO/DI (Spectra-Pure 60 GPD). Now - I need to know what to expect as far as installation, set-up and operation. I'm planning on wall-mounting it in the laundry room (OK?). I would appreciate any advice/tips from you folks that have been using these for awhile.
Thanks,
KA

A

Anonymous

IF you dont buy the auto-shut off, then do yourself a favor and get a timer that will ring after so long , or you will end up with a few gallons of water on the floor like i did!

Jeff Davis

A

Anonymous

I also have mine set up in the laundry area of the house. It's next to the "slop sink" the yellow hose (waste water) goes down the sink. (Some times I save some of this water for watering the plants around the house and stuff, but mostly its just waste) The blue hose (good water) goes into a rubbermade container which is elevated to sink level and has a PVC pipe out the side/top to drain into the sink just in case I forget to turn the RO/DI off. Kind of like a bathroom sink has that little drain on the top of the sink so it wont over flow. Trust me, you will, at least once, forget to turn it off.

A

Anonymous

KA,
Most RO filters come with a fitting used to supply the filter.This fitting looks like the end of a garden hose.If you have this type you are in luck.Go to the hardware store and get a gargen hose Y with on and off valves.This is a fitting that is normally used to run two hoses from one spigot.I bought a plastic one for about $3.00.You can get them at any home center.
You will be hooking this up to the cold water supply for the washing machine.Turn off the cold water valve and remove the hose to the washing machine.Put the Y on and re-connect the wash machine hose and connect the RO hose.Turn on the water and make sure the little valves on the Y are on and your all set.Make sure you hook up the RO to the COLD valve.Bob

------------------
My reef album
http://communities.msn.com/BobsReefPictures

A

Anonymous

Pick up a Sprinkler Timer and an In-line
24VAC Sprinkler Valve. Connect the valve between your water supply and the RO Units input. Set the Timer to run your desired time and frequency throughout the week and you are all set with an automated RO System that will not overflow or overrun when you forget.

Best Regards,
Mike O'Brien
Automated Aquarium Systems http://www.automatedaquariums.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: