A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

I have been looking at alternatives to a Kalkwasser drip and appears to be one of them.

The main problem I have with a Kalkwasser drip is my need to make up a full 5-7 gallons of the limewater to drip for an entire week into my 75g reef. If I put a powerhead in the bucket with the mixture, will it extend it's life?

If the Bio-Calcium doesn't fall out of solution as quickly as Kalkwasser, then a 5-7 gallon reservoir of that may be more useful for me.

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

fizzyfish,

The Bio-Calcium product certainly is an option for your system. I would deffinitly have my ph probe and ca and alk test kits around while dosing it. The product can supersaturate and fall out of suspension fairly fast if your not careful what your doing. Atleast thats what I saw my friend do to his reef
smile.gif

I'm using the ESV Bionic along with kalkwasser and am fairly happy with the water parameters I am getting.

------------------
Patrick Ferguson
Reef Microcosms
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

A

Anonymous

fizzyfish,

I use this product daily -- 1 scoop into the sump. I maintain 450 ppm calc and 11 DkH (I think?) alk. No problems so far -- very easy way of dosing the tank.

A

Anonymous

I guess my real question is can Bio-Calcium be successfully pre-mixed into a 5-7 gallon concentrated solution?

Patrick mentioned that it could super-saturate and fall out of solution. That's what I don't want to happen...

A

Anonymous

Bio-calcium is very easy to use do not mixit before hand and i tried placing it in the sump i had a very hard time getting calcium to rise past 375ppm then i put calcium in main aquarium and calcium rose to 400 within 3 weeks and corals really benifitted.
tropic marin test kits are very accurate and simple to use and not very expensive $45.00 canadian
no more buffering since started using bio-calcium.

swissgaurd

A

Anonymous

I spoke to a representative at Tropic Marin in USA about primixing Bio-Calcium. It turns out that since the product is not Chelated, that there would be supersaturation with any attempt to premix. Also the benefits of adding the product directly to the Main Aquarium would be lost.

Incidentally, I've heard from a number of sources that the Calcium test put out by Tropic Marin is probably the most accurate available in the US..even moreso than the LaMotte or Salifert tests.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: