A

Anonymous

I just ordered a turboflotor and am going to be putting it in my sump. It has an intake tube (1/2" dia.) that says attatch to overflow. Can I just take this tube off and have it draw water from the sump if it's upstream from the skimmers outlet, or does it need some sort of gravity pressure from the overflow above? I realize it's probly more efficient piped in directly, but I'm not quite sure how to best do this. At this point Im still building my new sump so Im open to any ideas!

A

Anonymous

you could put it in sump and run small power head to feed it water right from sump a maxi of some kind or you could tap into overflow box and send it right down to it which is what is recomended.the way i did mine which is against the grain is to a run a tube from tank and using gravity i suck from bottom but make sure that you drill a small hole just below water level or tank will drain when power goes out.i know the feedback will increase on this one as everybody has different ways of doing things well have at it
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

I have an over flow box with a 1" pvc running from it. When I got above the sump with the 1" pvc I split with a 1x1/2x1/2 inch tee one of the 1/2" lines I have going into the sump and the other directly into the TurboFloater. On both the 1/2" lines I have ball valves to control the flow and noise. I had alot of bubbles for the first few days but once the skimmer got broke in it ran great!!

A

Anonymous

The Turbofloater needs to be fed with a pump or overflow.It won't draw water in by itself.You can tap off the overflow,use a powerhead or tap off the return pump.I tapped off the return pump with a tee and put in a ball valve in line to control the water flow into the skimmer.Horked for me,Bob

------------------
My reef album
http://communities.msn.com/BobsReefPictures

A

Anonymous

I have a hagen 402 powerhead plumbed into the turboflotor with a ball vale. Works great! Any powerhead rated at about 250 gallons per hour will work fine. I adjust the flow so that the bubbles barely fall over the top when I take the collection cup off.

HTH, Scott

A

Anonymous

This skimmer came with no info, I was under the impresion that the rio 2100 it came with supplied it with water but it seems that is not true. Do I need to add a power head to it inside the sump or am I still better off plumbing it into the gravity fed water from the tank?

A

Anonymous

plumb into overflow as they say that is the best way taking the skimmed water for protein skimming.well good luck.also have to think about if you want two pumps in your sump rio puts out a little heat and maxi-jet puts out a little heat so this might be a problem down the road if you use an in the sump return pump
Jeff

[This message has been edited by reef2 (edited 13 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

When I bought mine I upgraded the pump to a rio 2500. My tank is 33gal and I skim about 1" of gunk every day & 1/2. fwiw
Bob

A

Anonymous

I just installed mine the other day. All I did was sit it in the sump. I use a RIO 800 to pump water into it. The RIO comes with a little 90' elbow. One side fits perfectly into the RIO output and the other side perfectly into the input of the Turbofloter, where the pipe usually sits. Hopefully this will be enough flow, and I won't have to upgrade the pump in the future.

Glenn

A

Anonymous

I would opt to connect to the overflow plumbing vs. an additional pump.

I try to take advantage any time I can save a little electicity and one more power cord to get tangles up......

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: