Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Hey guys, I'm going to get my first coral soon. I plan on getting a zoa frag from my LFS. I have a 6 gallon Fluval edge with 2 clowns (larger one is an inch), a few hermits+snails, a tiny short spinned sea urchin and a small Golden Coral Banded shrimp. I know that the clowns will out grow the tank and I will upgrade later on. My tank is about 3-4 months old. I was using instant ocean sea salt but have started using instant ocean reef crystals. I must admit that I use heavily dechlorinated tap water instead of RO/DI. My nitrates usually don't top 20 but I do get spike of 40 every few weeks if I go away for a couple of days or feed heavy. I do water changes every 3 or 4 days. I try to keep salinity at 1.024 but it sometimes jumps between 1.023-1.025. My pH is definitely on the low sides staying in the upper 7s. Temps stay between 79-80 regularly but on hot days go up to 84. For flow I have a hydor Korelia. I feed a mixture of flakes, New life spectrum pellets, and frozen brine and mysis shrimp.
I will be using a Deep Blue 115 15 watt LED light.

The opening on the edge is only a bit more then 7 inches and I figure that 3 and maybe 4 out of the 5 LEDs will fit and maybe 3 whole LEDs and 1/2 of each on the side. That provided me with at least 9 watts but probably more. The main corals that I want are zoas, different types of mushrooms like ricordeas, some polyps, and maybe a frogspawn way down the road. How should I care for these corals? How do I feed them and with what?

Do you guys think that I will be able to have corals with this plan? All advice will be appreciated.

I have another problem, I am going on a vacation for 4 days, if I have someone feed the fish in the middle and put the light on the on switch and on a timer will everything be fine?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You'll be fine with that BUT** you need to change to RO/DI water....zoas,shrooms you don't really need to feed...as long as you have some flow they will feast. They all are pretty hardy if you ask me...I have 29g with some zoas and 3 clowns (bigger ones are always females) and a firefish...I have medium light and have not changed water in 2 months....and my tank is running fine,,I feed once every couple days I just turn of the filter and leave the power heads on for about an 1 whole they feast and what not, then that's it lol you'll be fine!

Now about your water!, you need to switch if you want corals...since you have a small tank I don't think you want to spend the money on a full RO/Di. I would suggest an API tap water filter.....it's like 50 bucks an makes 300g give or take...but more simple than an RO...I use my RO from time you time bit small water changes I use my APi....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: