• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i bought a used solana tank, was cleaning it and seen what appeared as two dead clear shrimp....they were on a grate with 0 WATER for like 5-6 hours outside in 30degree temps...when i went to remove them with my hand they started squirming like crazy.i put them in a small 2.5 tank with water and they LIVED...Added them to my tank 2 days ago and they are doing great...always swimming around lolol

what are they?

glass shrimp?
ghost shrimp?

what do i need to know about them if anything? lemmie know..

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 160

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i would think it is a pepermint shrimp or something, that has just lost its color, my neon goby lost its color by the time i got it home from the lfs and then a couple days later it all came back

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it clear? looks like a grass shrimp to me. I doubt is a faded peppermint, I'd probably take it if you want to have a nice reef tank, fish only is okay.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i bought a used solana tank, was cleaning it and seen what appeared as two dead clear shrimp....they were on a grate with 0 WATER for like 5-6 hours outside in 30degree temps...when i went to remove them with my hand they started squirming like crazy.i put them in a small 2.5 tank with water and they LIVED...Added them to my tank 2 days ago and they are doing great...always swimming around lolol

what are they?

glass shrimp?
ghost shrimp?

what do i need to know about them if anything? lemmie know..

Looks like a grass shrimp to me. Harmless, hardy, and interesting little algae eaters and scavengers; you can collect them locally and drop 'em right in a reef tank.

They're jumpers, though, in a tank, so unless it's tightly covered, you may eventually lose 'em. ;)

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
ahhh awesome guys! thanks!, well im open top until next wednesday when i do the upgrade and add the glass top! hopefully they can make it till them because they are pretty cool.

will they fight with a cleaner or any other shrimp i add in the future?

i seriously want to keep them especially the fact that they lived 5 hrs without any water and in this weather lol.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
ahhh awesome guys! thanks!, well im open top until next wednesday when i do the upgrade and add the glass top! hopefully they can make it till them because they are pretty cool.

will they fight with a cleaner or any other shrimp i add in the future?

i seriously want to keep them especially the fact that they lived 5 hrs without any water and in this weather lol.

they are good scavengers. i have them in with cleaners and blood shrimps with no problems. only thing is they "steal" food from my corals...acans, dendros, etc. dom from diamonds of the reef sells them from time to time. they also are great feeders for bigger fish.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i think they both died, i did a transfer from my ap 24 to the solana and i didnt see them. i immagine they could be inside a rock but i didnt see them for 2-3 days.

no spike in ammonia nitrite or nitrate. all 0. and they didnt carpet surf lol

are they hiders?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i think they both died, i did a transfer from my ap 24 to the solana and i didnt see them. i immagine they could be inside a rock but i didnt see them for 2-3 days.

no spike in ammonia nitrite or nitrate. all 0. and they didnt carpet surf lol

are they hiders?

they can be tough to see sometimes....but will usually come out to steal mysis if you feed corals like dendro's and acans

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, i take them out. theres no need to add any risk, or pollution in the tank, c'mon is a grass shrimp, a feeder shrimp, in a reef tank? they might still be a alive, did you only find shells? or part flesh?

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have a few i got from Dom. They breed pretty readily also. great free food (larvae)
there harmless, they do steal food from non moving things, but i dont see why not.
They do sometimes dissapear for a few days, but usually front and center, and there clear, so you dont really notice them.

Brave lil suckers too, when i have mysis in the net and am feeding, they sometimes jump into the net!

-Joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: