• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lionfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
okay guys i would need the advice of the expert reefers .I am upgrading to a 90 gallon from a 55 gallon and i wanna know when i transfer everything over what will be the best way to do this meaning with the sand is it gonna make my ammonia nitrate levels go crazy and when i add the rest of the water up fill up the 90 will it need to be cycyled again or it wont matter please let me know thanks

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
so just adding 20 gallons of water to my 55 gallon wont change the cycle of the water ?
no, it won't...(premixed salt water), BUT, you're probably gonna need more than 20g...as you empty the old tank the remaining water, gets very dirty, especially as you scoop up the sand. I would use this dirty water + add'l new salt water, to rinse the sand out good, before putting the sand into new tank. You might need some extra new sand, depending on how deep a sand bed, you want.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would advise about 90 gallons of salt water on hand. What you don't use at the time of the change over is nice to have for a PWC if you do have spikes.
Always better to have and not need it than to need and not have it.
And I'm sure it will not get wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: