Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I will be buying 120 pounds or so of lr from an individual who has had it in a 500 gal dt tank for quite some time.

My question is, is there anything I can do to the rock to ensure I don't get any nasty hitchhikers? The reason I ask is because I purchased a colony of zoos on a rock and it came with a nasty crab hitchhiker.

Ultimately I'd want to remove ANYTHInG on the rock, but do not want to "cook" the rock for months. I'd prefer a simple solution such as a dip or something.

I've ready about putting the rocks in a high salinity such as 1.3 to have any hikers jump out of the rock. Any other things I can do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
My 135 will be new the tank it is coming out of is established. It's actually cheaper to buy all lr in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cooking the rock is a term used when you put it in a blacked out tank for a while. this will only effect the algae. any crabs or undesirables like that won't be effected.

what does the tank look like that it's coming out of? if it's all covered with hair algae and uglies like alot of tanks are when people are fed up and getting out of the hobby, i'm afraid you'll have to "cook" it, or use jarrets advice.
imo, if you don't want any life on the rock, his suggestion is the right way to go for you.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Why not ask the guy if he has anything that you may not want. If the rock looks good then high salinity will make anything live jump out. If it is full of algae or aptaisia then you you to question whether you really want it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: