• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jim54

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to look at a 90 gallon setup that has been runnng for just under 1 year. Question is it has just been shut down would the sand still be usable?????? 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use it.

Sand can accumulate detritus and you just have no idea what is in there.

Jim54

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Said he would through it in w/ the tank.... has been sitting in about 1/2 tank of water. No circulation for about 3-4 days!!!! If I buy the set up it woudn't be able to get it running till the weekend. Can the sand sit as long as it is hydrated???? or does it need aeration and circulation. I would be incorporating my established 55 gallon into the 90 . Thanks for the feed back.. :)

bubblepuffer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be a little smelly if it's down for a while.. no head or circulation.. many dead bugs, bateria and stuff.. might need sometime to cure =)

or complete wash, soak and rinse the sand with freshwater many many time to get it clean to start it from scratch ..Watch out..for any huge bristle worm hiding inside the sand bed..

ihopss

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand is in a bag for howlong,, and it is still good.If it were me I would lower the salinity 1.010 and get the hitchhikers that you do not want out,and thin put it in your tank. raising the salinity works as well little more expensive though. My only concern is why did he get out, could it be a copper problem if so it well still be in the sand,I don't know how long ich well live without a host but that is a concern,thought.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worst case scenario, wash the sand out completely(like previously stated), then seed it with some live if you like. it still has value, live or not.

was the water heated? i think the pods and worms will live for a few days if the water was warm, even if it was still.

as for the live sand in bags- that is not filled with pods and bristles, just bacteria. i doubt it would be anything other than toxic if it was full of worms and pods before they sealed it up. 8O

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a fuge with a dsb that was sitting in no water and creatures were fiddling around, tied it in and everything flourished, i think the fuge was in that state for a few days.

it's all good, ship me some i need a little more sand lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: