Reefr

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I'm a newb to reefing. I've got a new tank setup with approx 30lbs live rock, 30lbs live sand and filled with natural saltwater. I have the tank cycling now and its a week old, I've been reading some about dripping kalk in the tank when topping off with water.

My question is, if I am using NSW do I need to use kalk or will the natural levels of calcium be sufficient?

Thanks all in advance..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefr":1fr5k3pf said:
Hi All, I'm a newb to reefing. I've got a new tank setup with approx 30lbs live rock, 30lbs live sand and filled with natural saltwater. I have the tank cycling now and its a week old, I've been reading some about dripping kalk in the tank when topping off with water.

My question is, if I am using NSW do I need to use kalk or will the natural levels of calcium be sufficient?

Thanks all in advance..

In the beginning you shouldn't need to supplement anything. As the tank matures, it depends on what type of corals you have in the tank and how often you change the water. If you have a lighter bioload and change a good percentage of the water each week you may not need to does kalk at all.

Reefr

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":2v638iah said:
In the beginning you shouldn't need to supplement anything. As the tank matures, it depends on what type of corals you have in the tank and how often you change the water. If you have a lighter bioload and change a good percentage of the water each week you may not need to does kalk at all.

Ah, makes sense. Once I get to a point of adding in the kalk, is it ok for it to be mixed with NSW instead of RO/DI? Not sure if this matters in how the mix is broken down before it is dripped in.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're talking about when you top off the tank. You might need to add a calcium/alkalinity adjuster, but I can't say that you'll absolutely need to use something like kalkwasser. Natural sea water really simplifies things (and it's my favorite).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefr":yyjgk9y4 said:
Lawdawg":yyjgk9y4 said:

Ah, makes sense. Once I get to a point of adding in the kalk, is it ok for it to be mixed with NSW instead of RO/DI? Not sure if this matters in how the mix is broken down before it is dripped in.

Kalk is mixed with freshwater, then used to as make-up water to replace evaporated water out of the tank.

Lars

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on what lawdawg said. You shouldn't use salt water to replace evaperated water. Doing so will increase your salinity out of the desireable range. Only replace evaperation loss with fresh water and possibly additives.

yvr

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I used Kalwasser in my reef tanks for years and still think that it is a good way to supplement Calcium in the tank. However I recently began experimenting with alternate methods of supplementing Ca but with bit less hassle and time then good old kalkwasser.

I recently started using a product called Bio Calcium which I add to directly to my sump without having to drip it in like kalkwasser because the product doesn't seem to alter the pH of the aquarium water. So far, I've been happy with the results and it has kept the Ca levels up around 380ppm without having to worry about getting kalkwasser powder everywhere.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: