chefsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
392178_10150579281299115_1865573306_n.jpg

392819_10150581024724115_596521707_n.jpgi lost my last 125 gallon tank because it cracked . i want to start back but i fear that it will happen again. i really dont know how it cracked in the bottom in the first place. i had it on a iron stand i got from pet land.

is there i way i can keep this from happen again.
is a wood stand better and safer .
can you have to much sand and rock.
should i put plywood under the tank on top of the stand.
my level now

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
i would use thin dense styrofoam sheet (home depot) on top of the metal stand then a sheet of 3/4" plywood. i would also put eggcrate inside the tank to distribute the weight of the LR and take away any isolated pressure points of it as well. good luck!

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
take the tank off and cut a piece of 3/4" ply wood the same size of the tank put on top of the metal stand u really have make sure the tank is completely level and then u should be good to go

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Only thing I can think of as to why your tank cracked is that it was completely off level.
It had nothing to do with your iron stand as they are the strongest. Not aesthetically pleasing, but even that can be addressed by just making a ply-wood skirt to wrap around it.
Leveling an iron stand can also be challenging, but it can be done.;) If in fact your floor is not level I would cut a sheet of ply-wood the exact dimension of the stand to lay on the floor under the stand. I would then use shims to level the plywood. I would then put the stand on top of that plywood, and check the level again. This would make it easier to level the stand.;)

Like others above stated I would also use another sheet of plywood between the tank, and the stand.

The other reason the original tank cracked could easily have been you got a defective tank in the first place. It happens.

Wishing you all the best in this wonderful hobby/addiction.;)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually I would recommend a combination of the above suggestions. I would add the plywood to the top of the stand and the the high density foam on top of that. That foam is pretty tough. I have a 500 sitting on it and you would be hard pressed to see any effect of all that weight on it. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
227   0   0
the problem i see is that the iron stand has only 6 points of contact on carpet/wood flooring. and the metal is never completely straight especially from the welding. do you have any metal discs to protect feet from sinking into your floor? or is it on concrete slab? i would put the foam first to even out/fill in the small gaps/flaws of the metal frame, then the plywood on top of that to make sure that the stand surface was completely flat, then i would level/shim the entire setup from there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: