pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
i would try to do 10% a week. Equipment [filtration][skimmer] and bio-load play a major role in deciding your daily maintenance.
+1
If you're testing your water on a weekly basis and your phosphates (tested with a lab grade tester) and nitrates are around zero, then water changes could be cut down to every 3-4 weeks.
I do a 20% water change every 4 weeks and then every six months I like to do a 100% water change in a weeks time (25% every other day for a week). Like that I try to level off whatever is not leveled.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just curious. Is 10 gallons per week enough for a 125 gallon reef. I hate used to do 10 gallons every 2 weeks but then I just decided to keep the tank healthier and do it every week

Does the tank look ok? If it does, then it's probably enough.

Everyone likes to throw around the 10% rule, but almost no one actually knows what their water volume is. (If you think you know, I'd like to see the calculations regarding all equipment / rock displacement. If you don't have these, don't bother saying you know what your water volume is.)

In a 125g reef, I'd be surprised if you had 100g of water even with your sump.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
well my only real problem right now is phosphates and ive tried a whole bottle of phosphate remover and chemi pure elite and fluval clearmax phosphate and nitrate remover and non of it seems to help. oh and the displacement from the rocks and sand was about 15 to 20 gallons but i think with my sump and everything theres about 120 gallons.
Does the tank look ok? If it does, then it's probably enough.

Everyone likes to throw around the 10% rule, but almost no one actually knows what their water volume is. (If you think you know, I'd like to see the calculations regarding all equipment / rock displacement. If you don't have these, don't bother saying you know what your water volume is.)

In a 125g reef, I'd be surprised if you had 100g of water even with your sump.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I use to do about 20% twice week, but was told that was excessive on some myspace forums. 20% a week has been working fine for the past few years though. Its a great way to replenish trace minerals.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
oh and the displacement from the rocks and sand was about 15 to 20 gallons but i think with my sump and everything theres about 120 gallons.

The tank to start with is actually most likely less than 125g. Most companies use the outside glass measurements to calculate gallonage, then round up. Your sump is also smaller than you think. If you have an overflow box, it probably usurps a few more gallons. Powerheads, skimmer, heater, etc, etc... most people are surprised with how much water is displaced in their tanks.

Either way, water changes should be performed as needed to maintain a healthy tank. If your phosphates are high, you may need to change a larger volume of water. Like most other things in this hobby, there's no magic number.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: