Reefer2b

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of water evaporation rates do you guys see?

I have a new 75 gallon reef, a berlin skimmer powered by a rio 2100, an external little giant pump, and a sump (about 15 gallons or so), and am adding almost a gallon of RO a day. Just wonder if that's in line with what everyone else is seeing. My tank is currently running a tad hot (84) and I'll work to lower it with some fans. Only has two VHO bulbs on it right now.

Thanks in advance.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.. everyone adds water daily. I add a little less, because my tank is a little bit smaller. My friend, Michael, adds about a gallon and half + to his tank daily on his 110. My experience atleast.

TYRYFIN

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 and I add approx 2.5 gallons a day. I do blow alot of air across the surface of the tank and in the sump. My water temp averages 81 f.

ronjon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 105 with about 20 in the sump. i am getting around a gallon and a half a day on average.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: ronjon ]

Reefer2b

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean I'm normal and I'm gonna live?
icon_smile.gif

thanks again. now just gotta figure out how to drop that temp a couple degrees ....

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is anything to do with adding water that will kill you
icon_smile.gif
. My temp stays pretty regulated by itself, although I use my air conditioner/heat to the needs of the tank.

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6" clip-on fan at Walmart for $7.00 brought my temp down from 82 to 79.5 on 2 days. Maintains 79-80 with the fan blowing on the 20 gal sump. 80 gal AGA adding 1 gal per day.
Cheers,
Scott

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off for my 180 w/ 30 gallon sump and refugium is 4 gpd. I have 2 IceCap fans in the hood and a 6" clip-on fan blowing on the sump to keep the temp at around 81 during the day.

Tremelle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the room temperature to regulate the water temp for the most part as well. Occasionally I will turn on a little clip on fan to blow across the water surface in the sump. I loose about a gallon a day on average without the fan, and about a gallon and a half with the fan. I have a 20 gallon sump.

scott324

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose about 1-2 gallons per day depending on humidity. I wouldn't worry about you temp. If you read Dr. Ron's forum he says that the average reef temp around the world is 82-84 degrees. Don't quote me on that but mine stays around 83 and I know that was close to his figures. Plus I tend to think the higher temp the higher the metobolic process= the greater growth, maybe totally off but makes sense to me. HTH

Reefer2b

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. Didn't expect such a response. Guess it tells me that I'm in line with a normal tank (this is my first). The only thing that started me worrying was that some of my macro algae (bristle type) started to bleach after I moved this tank to a new house this past weekend with a 100% water change. I don't mind losing some of the algae....just so long as i don't lose all the polyps and the coral that came with it.....
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: