Rhegaana

Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Stick with natural SW levels such as Ca at ~400 alk 7-9. water changes should be suffice for beginning tanks. Use good salt mix such as red sea coral pro (I use that) and as you change water it should maintain levels.
TIP.....shake or roll bucket around to ensure levels are equal when changing water. ottherwise you might get spikes.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Stick with natural SW levels such as Ca at ~400 alk 7-9. water changes should be suffice for beginning tanks. Use good salt mix such as red sea coral pro (I use that) and as you change water it should maintain levels.
TIP.....shake or roll bucket around to ensure levels are equal when changing water. ottherwise you might get spikes.

I agree with the levels but not the salt. Red Sea coral pro has an alk of over 12 and a calcium of around 450 when mixed to 1.026. So you would immediately be trying to get the levels down. This kind of salt is intended for a stocked tank that is eating up levels.
Regular Red Sea is more like the levels you want to be at without being fully stocked. Alk of 7.6 calcium of 380.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would highly recommend keeping a journal of sort to keep track of your parameters between testing. Make note of any changes in temperature, bio-load, equipment changes, lighting schedule, test results, water changes and general observations. A simple notebook or spreadsheet will do. This will help you keep track of when you did things instead of guessing when you did them.

If and when there is a problem you may be able to narrow down a day or event that caused the problem and be able to remedy it easier.

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The FIRST parameters you should worry about initially: Temperature and Specific gravity (salt concentration) as well as ammonia (0 ppm), nitrate (0 ppm) and nitrite (0 ppm).....if these are in check then you are safe to put fish in (AFTER THE CYCLE of course)

If those are in check, the next parameters for reef....

Ca
Mg
K (optional to dose, but I highly recomend for reef b/c coral colors improve greatly)
Alk
Phosphate (as close to 0 ppm as possible. Phosphate contributes to algae growth)

Do you plan to run dosing pumps ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: