taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok I'm trying to figure this all out. I have a 65 gal tank. I have 125lbs of LR and 80lbs of LS. With those 2 displacing tank water that leaves me with roughly 49 gallons of tank water. So having 234w of t5's means that I have roughly 4.6 watts per gallon? Correct?:fishhit:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Watts per gallons is an outdated method of calculating how much light is needed. First, determine what type of corals you'd like to ultimately keep, then consider how deep the tank is.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
more importantly... what do you want to keep?

i have the same tank, and I use 2 x175 MH Ushio 10Ks and 2 x 55w PC actinics. I keep mostly SPS.

you definately could keep softies, zoanathids and could probably keep many types of LPS as well, with what you have.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Actually you have far less water. Using the inside dimensions you have closer to 52 gallons of water which is then displaced by (far too much Live rock IMO) and your Live Sand. Watts per inch of depth is what you should go by.

T5s should be one bulb for each 1.5 inch of tank width.
For your sized tank I liked two 150watt MHs when I ran it. I used 14k pheonix bulbs and they looked great.

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Actually you have far less water. Using the inside dimensions you have closer to 52 gallons of water which is then displaced by (far too much Live rock IMO) and your Live Sand. Watts per inch of depth is what you should go by.

T5s should be one bulb for each 1.5 inch of tank width.
For your sized tank I liked two 150watt MHs when I ran it. I used 14k pheonix bulbs and they looked great.
I kinda thought I had too much LR too, and was gonna rescape but now I'm really starthing to like how the tank looks I'm gonna take a pic and try to get it posted now. Hey Fritz by the way I grew up a Beach Rat. How long you in Marine Park? If you're there awhile you should get my reference to a beach rat.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: