Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a T. Maxima off ebay for $19.99. The only discription was that they are between 1 - 1.5" and a little about them. No mention of anything like shipping or a box fee. Well I got the bill today and it is $59.99, so basicly I am being chaged $50 to ship a one inch clam overnight plus a box fee. Now I know when I ship live stuff I do not charge a box fee, because in most cases I got the boxes for free. Either from live items being shipped to me or just going around to LFS and asking for some live shippers which they give me for free. Well I just want to know what people thing about thes box fees? I know there are many online stores to haven ot been charging this fee now, but the people who do (especially many of those who sell on ebay)seem to be having a pretty good scam going. Let me know what you think.

Ray Pollett

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box fees are the norm in the industry. I make sure I know what the box fees and shipping & Handling fees are before I order.

Ray

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not charge any box fee for anything I ship. Just actual shipping charges. I would not mind paying box and materials fee if it was actual. What I hate are the ones that charge a certain fee no matter the size or amount of $ you spend. It is a necessary evil, but IMO it is part of the game. The shipper should eat the charge of a box and materials. Just my $.02.

How much was the box charge and how much was the shipping charge? $59.99 does not seem that bad, since it was shipped over night.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: myreef ]

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's greed. That's why Caribsea sand is mega bucks, icecaps are $180, LFSs charge 200-300+ for canister filters, and on and on and on.

The box charge is, however, an industry standard IMO. They all want to make some extra bucks.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Sorry to hear about getting ripped off on Ebay. Always ask the sellers of livestock what they will charge for shipping. I saw one guy try to sell some caulerpa for $15, and then charge $30 for overnight shipping. That's not only a joke, but a rip off.

I think a box charge is worth it if they use a new, sturdy box. If they use old used boxes and didn't charge the fee, the chance of having the box torn and ripped open during shipping would be greater.

You have learned the hard way that shopping on Ebay is not that cheap. Always ask questions before buying, like what the final charge will be. Beware any seller who doesn't post the shipping and handling charges.

It is almost always cheaper to buy livestock at your LFS than to get it MO. Shipping charges usually tack on at least $30-$50.

Good luck,

Scott.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: srbayless ]

Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my complaint is not about the clam so much I just wanted to get peoples opinion on the box charge. I was using the ebay thing as an example not asking weather I was scammed. I do not feel I was charged to much, it just got me thinking. I just wanted to kick off a freindly debate.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, when I have received livestock it was in a bag, which was in a styrofoam cooler that contained heat/cold pack(s), a lid on the container, and all of this in a cardboard box that was sealed with tape. There is the material cost and labor, someone has to pay for this.
Steve

allenfrenchy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Pollett:
<STRONG>Box fees are the norm in the industry.
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have ordered livestock by MO on at least 6 occassions. I was only charges a "box fee" twice. Both times the MO site clearly stated the box fee. I believe that everytime there was a fee charged for heat or cold packs if needed, but again this was clearly stated. I agree that it is wrong to charge a "box fee" without warning and while it is common, I do not agree that it is "the norm in the industry".
Allen

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: allenfrenchy ]

allenfrenchy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reefer Dude:
[QB]I just bought a T. Maxima off ebay for $19.99. ... The only discription was that they are between 1 - 1.5" and a little about them. No mention of anything like shipping or a box fee. Well I got the bill today and it is $59.99, so basicly I am being chaged $50 to ship a one inch clam overnight plus a box fee. QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I understand your numbers right, you were charged $40 to ship the clam, not $50. Still, as I said in my post above, I agree that the box fee should have been stated up-front. The overnight shipping charged certainly has to be expected though.
Allen

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, w/ all the volume most places send out there would be a huge cost in shipping supplies. i don't like the box charge but i guess they have to do it. then again it isn't like they don't make enough off the corals as is

later
Lunchbucket

passthesalt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sold a LOT of stuff on ebay and my feeling on the matter is that if the shipping charges and box fee are not clearly stated in the item description then when you get the bill for the item you can refuse to follow through with the transaction. Of course it's always best to inquire with the seller about these fees before bidding. It sure saves a lot of frustration and negative feedback on eBay. ALSO--- Anytime you do business on eBay BE SURE to check feedback for the person you're buying from. I found out the hard way with my very first transaction that a seller's feedback is VERY important. I bought an item for $236 with shipping, paid with a cashier's check and 30 days later still did not get my item. When I went back to the seller's feedback, it was littered with negative comments about items that had been paid for but never shipped. I had to file a claim with the BBB, Internet fraud report, mail fraud report and 2 fraud claims with eBay before I finally got a refund then the seller had the gall to charge a restocking fee and give me negative feedback!! Ebay is a great place to shop and most sellers will go out of their way to accomodate you but you have to be cautious.
icon_biggrin.gif

Lydia

DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A box fee is certainly an industry standard among wholesale and retail operations. I use to manage a couple small LFS and we were always charged a box fee as well as for any heat packs or cold packs when we ordered livestock shipments. Many online retailers follow this model also and charge a box fee as well as for heat packs, etc. If a retailer doesn't charge this fee, you are still paying it somewhere along the line. It may be in higher prices for the livestock. So shippers could have higher livestock prices and free boxes or lower livestock prices and charge a box fee. Bottom line is it is an operating expense and the consumer pays for it one way or another.

Now as far as a private seller.... That is a little different I think. If I were going to sell someone something and ship it, I would disclose the shipping and handling (box fee included) up front. Nothing wrong with charging for it, but it should be disclosed at the time of purchase. I guess it is REALLY important to ask as well. Of course if I had extra boxes that I obtained for free I wouldn't charge a box fee, but that is just me.

It is the shipping cost and box fees that CAN make LFS a better deal even though their prices on the items are much higher. At the LFS the shipping, handling, box fee, etc are already built into the final sale price. Online you might find a coral for $19.95, but shipped that coral could easily cost $50-60. The same coral might sell for $39.99 at a LFS. Which is the better deal? Of course when you buy in quanity it is a different story. If you have a reef club or something like that you can make larger orders online and save BIG bucks. Just depends I buy different things in different ways.

Phishmon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the norm for the industry

all wholesalers charge a box fee

we order 20 boxes
we pay 20 box fees

just the way it works

Ayres

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box fees are the norm in the wholesale -> LFS world. Personally I don't always agree on the box charge, but it really depends on the quality of the packaging. To quote a correspondence with a wholesaler that I know,

"The boxes and trays cost us
about 6$ each, bags are 5 cents each and each coral usually takes 3 bags.
The heat packs are 1.50 each and we are upgrading to the 48 hour type, in
case a shipment gets delayed it will not get too cold and die. Then there
is the cost of the oxygen, saltwater, labels and labour of the people
packing the orders."

After seeing the packaging that this order came in with, I thought the box charge ($15) was very reasonable. I really doubt that the $40 extra was all box charge. Most of it was probably shipping! Overnighting costs a fair bit.
icon_smile.gif

-Ayres

ncosper

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would rather pay the box charge. You know that if the shipper has to pay for the box your ARE going to be paying for that box one way or another. Thats just simple business. The box charge is really a way not to rip you off if it is used properly. If you are buying ten things and have a $5 box charge added you know what your paying for. But if you buy thsoe same ten things and there is no box charge, your probably paying a dollar (maybe more, maybe less) more per item to cover the box that the shipper bought.
If you're buying from a personal exchange, then the box charge is a bit shady, unless the item is abnormally sized.
I would tell your clam seller that you will pay whatever the stated costs are in the item description. If the shipping is stated and the box is not, then thats their own fault and they will have to eat that cost if they are to have the sale. basically if any shipping pricing was given to you without the box charge being stated, they are just not being completely honest.
good luck

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the one by ExoticReefs on eBay, there's a way out of it. His auction simply has the price and size with a picture. If it doesn't mention any fees other than shipping, then it's void if the winner (you) debates the auction. He has to put all the costs up there beforehand, and if they are not to your liking, you are not responsible for the item. Buying on eBay has become a trial and error way of learning their rules. Best bet, shop for the clam at your fish store. You can get a much bigger clam than 1"-1.5" for $59.99 at any LFS!

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do not post as a MO store owner (just as an aquarist), but here is a good case for me to do so. My company charges $5 for all live orders. It is clearly stated on our website and customers never complain about it. Our cost for the materials ( we use brand-new cardboard boxes, styro-liners, heatpacks or coolpacks) is $4.75 for small boxes and $5.00 for large boxes. If I get an order that requires 2 or more large boxes, I will only charge the fee one time, I am going to help the customer who gives me business. Boxes charges are a norm in our industry, but if a company is recycling old boxes and not using heat/cold packs, they have no right to charge a fee. Also, as has been stated before, you should always ask about box fees, handling fees before ordering. I have heard numerous stories from friends and customers about great deals from MO outfits only to be charged $15 or more in box fees plus high shipping.
As far as ordering on Ebay, it is buyer beware. Many people do not know that Ebay does not allow any live animal sales. Read here

Ebay Prohibited Items

Ordering live animals through an auction will exempt you from any protection through Ebay. With so many excellent MO companies around, why risk the chance of having an experience like Reefer Dude?

Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my clam today. The clam is nice I do not have any complaints about it. What I am very upset about is the old box fee once again. So as I stated earlier I paid $40 is shipping and box fee. What I got was a small tiny box full of foam peanuts with a double bagged clam in the middle. I checked with Fedex about how much shipping cost and it was only $24. The clam only cost me $19.99 so that is one hell of a profit on the shipping. Just watch yourself on ebay. Buy from Scott at saltwaterhobbyist (Funnyroom) on this board he is a good honest person with great products. Watch out for the other guys though.

Phishmon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its called shipping and Handling

there is labor involved in packing Etc

ask about box fees

I dont charge box fees cause i reuse the boxes
unless i need to buy a box then I charge a fee
your gonna get charged for the box one way or another

this is the whole reason i tel folks
MO is not always cheaper than your LFS

thats also why us LFS's ship in 15-20 things a box to spread the shipping cost out

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind. When shipping equipment or animals, UPS is less likely to pay a claim, if one is needed, if you reuse box. They tried to refuse a claim of mine because they said the box was used, but it wasn't. They just made it look old and reused, because they crushed it so badly. So I would rather pay a reasonable box fee than take a chance on an old box. I still don't charge handling charges or box fees, but I do understand the need. Just my $.02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: