Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm hoping that one of you guys/gals can enlightment a rock that was partially buried in the sand bed. No matter where I put it it jumps down to the sand. So I left it down on the sand.
It opens, closes, colors are good, it has grown since I got it.

Now here is what I find that is absolutely weird to me. She is always walking. Yes, walking! It will not stay put regardless of where I put it. The only way to keep it under direct lighting is to trap it between corals, even on the sand bed. Currently it has moved to the very front of the bow up against the glass from the middle of the sand bed.

It is being housed in a 155 gallon BF mixed reef under 3 X 250 watt 20K Helios MH & 4 X 24 watt PCs for the past year. Previously it was under 3 X 175 watt 10K XM & 2 X 140 watt VHO.

Par's
PH 8.6
SG 1.025
Temp. 78.6
Ammonia 0
Trites 0
Trates 0
Phos. I don't test since I don't have a Hanna Meter, but I can tell you I have no nuisance algae except inside the lip of my overflows.
Cal 445
Alk 9dKh
Mag 1350

Any ideas?

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
suicidal clam?

No, just kidding. It might not want to be in the extra light.I had a derasa that would do the same. I'd place it high and it would start to open and close, in a funny swimming pattern until it was on the sand bed again. I thought that maybe it preferred the sand, so I left it on the sand and there it stayed until I upgraded. You might have the same situation.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you very much for your response Alex!!:)

OK, I was hoping for some more ideas, but I guess that is it.LOL

I'll see if it likes a shaded area better.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Just let it stay where it settles, unless it's bothering another coral or in danger. It probably prefers the spot where it settles.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Awilda I couldn't agree with everyone else more. No different than an anemone. They have the ability to move to the location they want to be. Why try to change it?

What concerns me more is your pH at 8.6. That's high.

Russ

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys! That is what I have been doing for the few years I've had it.lol
Only thing that concerns me is when it comes all the way to the front glass, and it has no where else to go to.:(
Russ, I also am concerned with the high ph, but don't know what to do about it. I do weekly w/c with ro/di water & IO salt, and I do not add anything to this tank other then foods, selcon, vitachem, garlic extreme, and as recent Vitamin C. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
How big is the clam? do you have any fish like a maroon clown?

Pierce, I say it is about 4". No maroons! I haven't noticed any of the fish messing with it.
Marine Betta
PBT
Hippo
Kole
Lamarck
Wrasses - radiant, yellow coris, clown fairy, red wrasse, possum
Two Spot Hog
YW goby
Ocellaris & Blacksaddle clowns

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the response Pierce!

None of the fish are bothering it. The ocellaris stays in, or around the elegance, the black saddle back stays with the duncans.;)

The wrasse totally ignor it, as do all the other fish.

Sand bed is way to shallow.

Right now it is all the way to the front of the bow in the tank.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I should have said a hole in the rock structure, maybe closer to the light.

Check out this picture I found on the web:

IMG_2177-722693.JPG

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: