Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JCD, I dont know if you have posted the procedures before but what goes on behind the scenes at the W. A. I see many questions posted on Quarantine on many boards. Just wanted to get your perspective and procedures. How does one go about limiting stress on individuals placed in quarantine? Thanks, Louis.

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louis: We keep the fish in a flow through system with airtsones, with PVC pipe parts for shelter, the tank is low lit. We keep them there for three weeks and make sure they are eating. Standard treatment consists of three treatments (one treatment every third day) of 37% formalin (1 mL per gallon) for 45 minutes with the water turned off. Once the three treatments are done the fish are moved to another q-tank just in case any cysts of ich are still in the tank. If there appears to be any skin damage or infection, then we will first treat with nitrofurazone every night for a week or so, then start the formalin treatments. If you use formalin on a fish with open wounds or sores, it will be very irritating and can kill them.

If the fish come from areas where we know that monogenetic trematodes are a problem (e.g. Marshall Islands) we will give them a freshwater bath as soon as we get them and we usually repeat this before adding them to any display after they have gone through treatment.

We never use copper when Q'ing a fish, formalin works best for us.

Aloha!
JCD

L.Foley

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charles,
What do you do to treat angelfish with internal infections? I belive they are bacterial infections that look like a "bloody spot" under the fish's skin. Angelfish and chromis seem to be the most succeptible to this, IME.

Thanks,
Leland Foley

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leland: One would first have to determine the organism associated with the bleamishs. This would usually involve a skin scrape or biopsy, or if more than one fish was affected, one would need to be sacrificed.

What you describe sounds a lot like a parasitic infestation called Uronema. This is best treated with a copper/formalin mixture but is very difficult to eradicate.

Aloha!
JCD

L.Foley

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charles,
Sorry for the long time span between replys...I commony see the infection in Genicanthus angels. I don't know if it is from a localized infection from the diver "poking" the fish's swim bladder with the needle, or just a common infection. Another problem "disease" I've not been able to treat is when the fish's scales "fluff" out, I belive this is caused by Pseudomonas, Corynebacterium sp., according to Gerald Bassleer. Do you or your associated have a cure solution for this disease?

Thanks,
Leland Foley

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: