Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I kill ich?

Just joking :backtotop

I have a 150 gal display with 200lbs LR, inch or 2 of substrate. My tank got wiped out by a parasite I believe to be ich(possibly velvet) I now have 2 snowflake eels and 2 lunar wrasses remaining. The wrasse's are still flashing 2+months after the event. I am unable to setup a large enough qt/med tank for these peaceful creatures :skull: hypo salinity seems like the only route but it won't kill velvet if that's what I'm dealing with. Will it kill fluke if it's also in the system? I plan on getting a huge uv to help combat the issue along with removing the substrate. I converted a 20 gal fresh to salt for any future additions. Should I just be happy with what I have and have fun with coral? 2 fish and the odd eel head poking out for food is kind of boring for a 6 foot tank :squid:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it's been two months after your lost. I would wait another 2 to 4 weeks and continue to do water changes. By than you should add a few fish. I had a bad wipe out myself last year. I had Velvet and a few fish may it. I waited it out and tank is running like I never had a problem. No need to remove sand. UV would be good to keep any floating parasite in water.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse's are still flashing. I am not to keen on introducing more fish unless I know that the odds are in my corner. I understand that many tanks can live in harmony with parasites and do just fine for many years. I however do not like the idea of walking in tall grass knowing there is a cobra somewhere in the field. Especially when my lack of judgement has already killed :(

I'm looking for an idea that is fresh and new that may have not been tried before. Reef fish hospital? Medicated food?

I can't be the only one who has been down this road. Ideas!!!:scratchch

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you say flashing you saying their darting or scratching on sand or rock. Like they still have ick? You either catch the fish and treat them in a hospital tank. You have coral in the main tank. Your option are limited. 150 gal with LR and coral would be best left in that tank. And run it with no hoist. Buy UV in mean time. Keep doing water changes in mean time. Remove wrasses if possible. How are the Eels ? Or do nothing and let it run its course.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the wrasse's seem to still have the pathogen/parasite on/in their gills. The eels seem un-affected. The wrasse's are almost full grown, I could put them in the 20 gal but one would certainly die from the others torment. I am unable to setup a larger qt/med tank for various reasons, primarily space.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had two wrasse in 20 gal. How long have you had the wrasse. They are famous for shipping with fluke and worms. But if you can catch them treat them in 20 gal and the main tank can runs it course. In a few months add one fish and see how he does to see parasites die off.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest of the lunar wrasses is 10" the smaller about 8". I'm concerned that the smaller will get eaten in such close quarters. I've watched them tear apart crayfish with ease. They are not the friendly type :Yikes: I'm going to look into seeing if a local reefer will take the smaller one. If so I can medicate the other and hope my eels are not harboring anything I guess.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
How bout. A local fish shop? You have a regular place you go to, if so see what they can offer you in terms of a temporary holding tank to treat them or even a local reefer on the forum that maybe in position to help out with a spare holding tank for you

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity seemed like the only option until I dug in a bit more and found out it won't kill velvet if that's what I'm dealing with. I'm unsure if it will kill fluke, I haven't found much documentation on it. I got my salinity down to 1.014 and gave up after reading about velvet. Also my corals did not like the low lighting in the 20 gal, and seen my coraline start to die off made me decide to raise the salt levels back up. I got scared and couldn't pull the trigger.

Lfs unfortunately will be no help to me. I'm hoping a local reefer will take at least one wrasse.

I guess I am dreaming of some kind of miracle cure that does not exist.

I wonder how many others suffer the same fate.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm sure your not alone, especially wanting a miracle cure
I recently lost three fish, while not a total wipe out, it set my tank back quite a bit and I didn't add anything for almost 2.5 months. I added a fox face and hogfish and both doing well. Whatever it was , it's at least dormant now in the tank. Do you have room for a small brute Pail? Use on for qt. not ideal but an option

Hyposalinity seemed like the only option until I dug in a bit more and found out it won't kill velvet if that's what I'm dealing with. I'm unsure if it will kill fluke, I haven't found much documentation on it. I got my salinity down to 1.014 and gave up after reading about velvet. Also my corals did not like the low lighting in the 20 gal, and seen my coraline start to die off made me decide to raise the salt levels back up. I got scared and couldn't pull the trigger.

Lfs unfortunately will be no help to me. I'm hoping a local reefer will take at least one wrasse.

I guess I am dreaming of some kind of miracle cure that does not exist.

I wonder how many others suffer the same fate.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few damsels over the weekend, they are now in the 20gal QT. My plan is to use them as sort of a canary but permanent stock if everything goes well. The wrasse's have stopped flashing, still keeping a close eye on everything. Fingers crossed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: