Dejathoris

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm

I have an idea, you should start a feedback thread where before you actually make a purchase or a decision you post and ask for feedback.

The purpose would be to ensure you buy the right sized skimmer the first time, so that you buy the right pump the first time, etc, etc etc

Too many of us buy skimmer after skimmer until happy
too many of us add starter corals to later find out they grow like weeds
Too many of us shuffle from one light to another fixture to another fixture
Too many of us blame one thing when in reality its another

Just saying, if you start a feedback thread you may actually avoid the pitfalls some of us have gone through

That sounds like a plan d5332 shall we begin:
At present I just ordered a 150 gal RR tank with 2 overflows 72x18x28
I have 2x reef breeders 32" photon lights, 2x jebao wp 40 (don't know if i need 2 or not)

Recommendations needed for:

1. Skimmer

2. UV sterilizer

3. ATO

4. Reactors

5. Pump (I was thinking of an Eheim 1262)
Oh by the way I'm not the most computer savvy just figure it took me 3 days to figure out how to attach d332 comment to my reply. LOL

All inputs are appreciated

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I am running the eheim 1262 on my 150 and am very happy with it so far.

I can't offer you too much in way of skimmer advice, but i think you should put your price range in the post: it will help to narrow down your choices

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Here is my opinion, from having used air stone skimmers like ages ago to now.

get your sump first if the skimmer is going inside the stand.
Measure how much space you have in regards to height.
If you make your own sump you don't have to worry about the foot print because you can customize the compartment size.

Once you know the height you need to work with aim for an internal Cone skimmer, the largest you can buy even if you plan on keeping one single damsel in the tank. Reef Octopus actually has really nice affordable cone skimmers, aim for something that is rated for 300 to 400 gallons, Eshopps makes really nice skimmers as well and there is a S300 cone for sale on Ebay right now for $469 shipped, much cheaper than many others.

Odyssea 55w UV's will work fine, you can get two 55w units for under $200 and bulbs are like $10 bucks if you buy in addition to the units on same purchase.

ATO, you are going to get opinions about Tunze but its too expensive to do the same as what Autotopoff.com sells and what they sell works, for like $50

The pump, depends of what you want to do with the pump, first decide if you want to run other equipment off the pump or if it will be strictly for return purposes. If you can go external get an external pump very easy to change if it goes bad assuming you set up the plumbing to allow for quick disconnect. If you must go internal a Mag18 or the Eheim pump mentioned are common choices.

As for reactors, just get the Bulk Reef Supply or Two little fishies reactors for carbon and GFO if you plan on using that. If you are not careful you will end up spending hundreds on common media reactors for no reason.

As for advanced reactors such as alk, cal, bio pellets and whatever else, that I dont get in to, never had them, know the brands but I dont agree with the huge price tags on them but plenty of ppl use them, you probably want to find out which are the best value for your money while still highly reliable.

Keep the two wp's and just dial them down with a regulator if dont already have one.

The fact that you have wp's and reef breeders tells me you seek the most bang for your buck which is a fine thing to do given the cost of the many other things you will end up putting in that tank.

Like I said, just my opinion with the best intentions in mind and dont want to argue with anyone about Sicce pumps versus bubble blaster and so on.

Last edited:

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
You are fairly close to me. If you have questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you would like to stop by and look at my setup just let me know. I'm running most of the equipment you're asking about. It's always nice to help out a fellow reefer.

Jim

Dejathoris

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fairly close to me. If you have questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you would like to stop by and look at my setup just let me know. I'm running most of the equipment you're asking about. It's always nice to help out a fellow reefer.

Jim

Jim thank you for the wonderful offer it means a lot to have someone of your caliber to answer my questions and I would be very honored to see your tank.
I'll send you you a PM to reach out to you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: