Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see alot of great photos.... none of witch I have taken lol what is the best way to get great photos....

I have a slr and a macro lens do you keep the tanks lights on is a flash used or a tripod long exposure or short.

Would like any help.... making grat pix....

thanks

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
No flash!!!!
Long exposure and Low ISO (for best quality)
Tripod Needed
CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE!!!!!!!! Check your user manual how to set custom WB.
You can also use Photoshop or lightroom (both adobe products) to adjust white balance, but you need something white in the tank.
Try to take pics as perpendicular to the glass as possible to help stop distorsion.
Lens also makes a difference. Most pics that you see like Straightjiggys, he uses a 100mm macro lens. I do not have a macro for now, I just use my 50mm prime lens and crop the pic. It is an OK pic. but The macro def helps.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I also temporarily turn off the water flow for less movement (if you have softies)...just briefly tho! Don't forget to turn it back on :dead1:

Last edited:

michaelchen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
follow the following steps, and you will have the best non photoshoped photo:

1 buy Underwater Housing for you SLR
2 buy suction cup tripod
3 turn off all water flow
4 place you camera and tripod in the tank with right position and focus (use macro and manual focus)
5 set your white balance to be "underwater theme"
6 stay between F4 - F5.6 (for frag), if light is low, use long exposure
7 set auto timer to 5-10 seconds
8 press the shutter button and wait for the picture to be taken - for stability and best lighting move your hand away from the Underwater Housing but DO NOT move it out of the water, as this might causing ripple
9 post the pictures and let us enjoy:smile:

Last edited:

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks gor a the great info I will try asap... dont know about the in the tank thing it a 40g things would be a little tight

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: