stlblufan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month, my sand has turned from white to ... sort of brownish, even purplish in some areas, with a bunch of air pockets throughout (see pics). Is this normal or should I start stirring it up and siphoning stuff out?

I do weekly 25% water changes and my parameters are good (except phosphorous, which is at 0.1ppm--working on that).

It looks sort of like diatoms, but I should be well past that by now (~6mo). I also have a bunch of nerites and some chaeto in my sump. My lighting is an elite 100. Dinos?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 242
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

stlblufan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off is RO/DI. To my knowledge, I've never had high phosphates, but my PO4 test kit (Elos) may have been bad as I never had a reading over 0.0. I have recently replaced it with a Hanna checker, which surprised me with a reading of 33ppb.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Test kits rarely show phosphates at a low level, you need a hanna photometer to detect very low levels, or lab grade kits that we can not get.

Your using crushed coral for sand it looks like- has always been known as a nutrient trap.

Dont stir up your sand- youll disturb layers of bacteria that you shouldnt and get them waterborn.

If you look at a lot of peoples tanks, the sand gets discolored under the surface. Thats all the good bacterias that help with bio filtration.(as well as some not so good nutrients) and is why you dont want to disturb it too much)

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Not sure if that's crushed coral... doesn't look big enough for it. It looks like that Arag Alive sand mixed in with some crush coral. I wouldn't worry about it too much... Algae Blooms like that can disappear relatively quickly after a water change. I keep my sand clean by getting fish that sleep in it. My Red Coris Wrasse and Yellow Watchman Goby keep it nice and white :)

stlblufan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if that's crushed coral... doesn't look big enough for it. It looks like that Arag Alive sand mixed in with some crush coral.

My sand is Tropic Eden Aragavive Reeflakes. No coral mixed in by me, but I think Reeflakes is a mix of coral and seashell fragments and whatnot.

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep changing the water and possibly pick up a goby! I was terrified that it was dinos.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Could be dinos, or cyano. I have been battling a similar problem. I have fairly large grain, might even have been the same media your using. I can't remember.

My problem is my sand bed feels rock hard when I touch it, anyone know if this is normal? I have about 2 - 2 1/2 inchs. I get bad cyno bloom and dinos.

I do weekly water changes using ro with tds meter. Any suggestions ? Should or can I add more sand on top? Or should I suck out the old sand first?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Could be dinos, or cyano. I have been battling a similar problem. I have fairly large grain, might even have been the same media your using. I can't remember.

My problem is my sand bed feels rock hard when I touch it, anyone know if this is normal? I have about 2 - 2 1/2 inchs. I get bad cyno bloom and dinos.

I do weekly water changes using ro with tds meter. Any suggestions ? Should or can I add more sand on top? Or should I suck out the old sand first?

are u using kalk?

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I test bi weekly. Sometimes weekly. Was steady with my dosing regament. Pretty much do a water change every week or week and a half. I just got my calcium reactor set up 3 days ago. Gotta get it dialed in over the next week or so.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: