esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is up and running and is about 3 months old. I have 2x400W MH (Will be adding a third one later... the two are spaced 3' apart now) and 2x96W PC True Actinics.

I have 270lbs of LR and a 4-6" DSB and a 50 Gal sump/refugium. I am running a MyReef Skimmer that seems to work very well.

Even though the tank is fairly new, some of the LR (1/3rd) and LS is from a 2yr old tank. The pod population is up and running and all my soft corals look great.

I dose kalkwasser and have an auto-top off unit.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Ca 540 ppm
Alk 1.75 Meq/l
Salinity 1.026 Sp. Gravity @ 80F
Temp 78-83F

I know the alk is low. I just did the test, but my wife let the kalkwasser resevoir run dry a day and a half ago.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I think I will wait at least 3 more months. Also, what would be a good "starter" SPS?

Ernie

pathos

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd wait at least another month to make sure everything is running smoothly. 3 months is the minimum time for the DSB to mature.

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO pavona sp. is the best starter sps there is. Fairly resistant to disease and a good steady grower. 5 degree daily swing is a little large IME. I would rather put an 80 or 82 degree floor on the temp than have a five degree daily swing.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2Poor:

I can up the floor, but wouldn't that also increase the ceiling? Also, is it too soon on the Pavona?

E

Sue Truett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, anything less than a 6 month old system is too new for sps. Eric Borneman, in his new book, recommends a year old system before adding sps corals. They have got to have an established system with stable water and temp. The more stable the more success you should have. I would work on getting your water in check too. I imagine there are some you could get away with but why take the chance on these beautiful corals. Montipora digitata is about as easy as sps gets. Pavona is good too though. HTH..

my 180 ecosystem sps tank:
http://berlinmethod.com/suet/
my 120 sps tank:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html
www.marshreef.org/members

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upping the temp floor by setting your hetaer at 81 degrees should not increase your high temp. If your temp increase is coming from lighting, for instance, then when the lights come on they will drive the temp up to a max temp at which point the circulation of air and water will be able to dissipate any additional heat. At least that's my understanding. It would be easy to test one day when you can check the temp several times throughout the day. Maybe someone more knowledgable about thermodynamics will reply.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, since the temps here in Knoxville have dropped, it is between 78 and 80. Next summer I will have to do something though.

E

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small splotches of corraline are starting to grow where the MH light is weak. I am using reefbuilder to raise alkalinity. Any other suggestions for raising the alk? I plan on adding a Ca reactor in 3 months or so and I will probably continue to dose kalk just in lesser amounts.

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.

E

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esmithiii,
Definitely bring your alkalinity up above 2.8 meq/l before you add any SPS. 3.2 to 4.0 would be even better. They don't like low alk at all. You'll want to raise the alk slowly over a week or so.

Growth of coralline algae in the tank would be a good sign that you have OK water conditions for SPS corals. If the coralline is growing, I would try adding an SPS coral even if the tank has only been setup for 3-6 months. As noted, M. digitata is a good one to begin with and readily available if you want to 'test the waters' so to speak.

--- Ken

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you're going to be going with mostly SPS, a Calcium Reactor is the way to go for a 180 gallon tank. For now, Seachem Reefbuilder will work fine for raising your alkalinity. I have used it with great success in the past.

I personally always had a problem maintaining my alkalinity levels when I dosed Kalk, so I'm not a big Kalk fan, but obviously a lot of people have been successful with it. With a calcium reactor, I personally wouldn't waste my time mixing Kalk. One of the great advantages of the reactor is the reduction in maintenance.

--- Ken

cubera

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW when you have coralline the size of quarters and stable chemistry and a steady routine you might add SPS. This can take some time...perhaps a year or more. Be patient and the wait will be worth it! When you do add SPS, you might consider relatively hardier corals like Montipora and Pavona to start out with. You are well on your way. I know people (not to name names......) who add SPS to systems as soon as they are cycled and have great success. I know others who have very well established systems and can't seem to keep them. Use your own judgement and remember that only bad things happen fast in reefs tanks
icon_smile.gif

gbtower

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait until you get the calcium reactor online and stable. It'll take a bit of fiddling to tune your system after adding the reactor so why not wait until then before you start adding SPS?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: