ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

Im currently cycling my tank (first salt water tank) with shrimp and algae pellets. I also already have a clean up crew (2 blue hermits 2 red hermits 2 snails). Today I noticed that some on the shrimp and algae pellets that i put in to keep my cleaning crew feed were not eaten and appear to have a white web like thing grow on it. It looks like mold to me, could it be? Is it bad? What is it and what should i do?

ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would really help.

You are cycling with a cleanup crew in the tank??

What i think is mold is not big enough to get a clear pic of.

I had the tank set up for about a week before with a raw shrimp before I put in the cleaning crew. My aquarium store has been out of the salt water test kit for awhile so i haven't been able to test the water yet but the people that worked there said that cleaning crew would only help the tank cycle faster. Iv had them for about four days so far and they seem good.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What i think is mold is not big enough to get a clear pic of.

I had the tank set up for about a week before with a raw shrimp before I put in the cleaning crew. My aquarium store has been out of the salt water test kit for awhile so i haven't been able to test the water yet but the people that worked there said that cleaning crew would only help the tank cycle faster. Iv had them for about four days so far and they seem good.

Uneaten food should be removed from the tank. It is rotting..and creating more ammonia.

How long did you wait between removing the shrimp used to start the cycle and adding the clean up crew?
A clean up crew will not help the tank cycle 'faster'. They are the first additions added after the cycle is complete (which should take about a month to complete and stabilize)
Test kits can be ordered on line and delivered to your door.

You need to have those to know when the cycle is finished! Otherwise you should not be adding live creatures to the tank. Could the store not test the water for you?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Uneaten food should be removed from the tank. It is rotting..and creating more ammonia.

How long did you wait between removing the shrimp used to start the cycle and adding the clean up crew?
A clean up crew will not help the tank cycle 'faster'. They are the first additions added after the cycle is complete (which should take about a month to complete and stabilize)
Test kits can be ordered on line and delivered to your door.

You need to have those to know when the cycle is finished! Otherwise you should not be adding live creatures to the tank. Could the store not test the water for you?

I agree with kathy. The swings in levels will only kill the CUC. I would expect die off of your CUC....

You need to cycle then add.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I agree with Kathy 100%.

This is also a great experience for you......because you've learned at the very beginning that you should not listen to the advice given to you from the people at that pet shop. The members here on MR are now proven to be infinitely more knowledgeable than those who gave you that poor information in the first place.

Russ

ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise everyone. Now i know not to trust the people at the aquarium shop. Luckily my CUC is still doing well and after checking my water parameters everything seems good. The extra food was also removed and ill be sure to keep up on that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: