Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, another Rio2100 has bit the dust, leaving an oil slick behind. 4:00 this morning I woke up to a really bad burning smell, and ran over to my reef - big oil slick in my sump (that's where the rio was) and the whole system was only slightly cloudy! I rushed to get my old FW Fluval403 set up with charcoal and floss, and got my R/O D/I going for the upcoming week of water changes! Being a member of this board for the last couple of months, I've read enough to know that Rio's, like any pump, can fail, but in Rio's case, a disaster is likely to happen, not just a matter of seizing up and needing replacement. I was in the process of researching which pump is best, when this happened. DAMMIT! It is beyond me why manufacturers supply product that will fail in this manner! After going through the archives for this board, it seems that Maxijet is the replacement pump of choice, so that's what I'll be getting. The rio supplied my CA reactor. It seems as if I may have only lost my largest SPS colony,(maybe not) and I attribute that being the only loss due to my having a relatively large system 240-250g. It's been 16 hours now.

I think I'll have another beer, while I wait for the R/O to do it's thing.

Maybe I'll write a letter to the Rio manufacturer, as well.
icon_mad.gif

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more beer I have, everything looks better and better.
icon_biggrin.gif

The SPS still has it's purple tips, and the brown color of the lower branches is pale, but I'll know more in the a.m.

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...sorry to hear that. I just changed most of my power heads over. Only rio I'm using is the one on my peice of crap skimmer.....rio 800. Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Carpentersreef:
For the record, another Rio2100 Being a member of this board for the last couple of months, I've read enough to know that Rio's, like any pump, can fail, but in Rio's case, a disaster is likely to happen, After going through the archives for this board, it seems that Maxijet is the replacement pump of choice, so that's what I'll be getting.

I'll stay out of the Rio fray, I've been through enough threads in the past, but your logic and research are faulty.
The Rio 2100 is a water pump that pumps 692 g/h at 0 head while the largest Maxijet is a powerhead that pumps 295 g/h at 0 head so the Maxijet is less then 1/2 as powerful as the Rio, so it will not do the job.

Regards,
David Mohr

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like I said, it was only supplying my CA reactor, and it was the only pump I had with the correct bypass to supply it. I realize that there is no maxijet with the same output, and I don't really need the capacity

Thanks

Iron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag pumps are used to replace rio. Just mag7 ppl have probs with but seems the rest are pretty good. I only used mag2,3 and 18 they have worked good for me. Most all rios I hate after a few mo they seem to slow down even with cleaning. JME

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a rio600 on my hang-on skimmer(don't know what kind it is, what pump can I use to replace it with?

smokinreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope everything pulls through! good thing you were home, mine burnt out while i was at work
icon_mad.gif
sounds like you caught it before any major damage was done. just be diligent with your waterchanges and i'm sure youll be OK. good luck!

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one tough way to wake up in the morning.
icon_mad.gif
I'm sure the beer does help. Glad to hear you are doing the water change routine. I'm sure everything will work out for you and your tank.

JohnD

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: