cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Cool find, I guess I need to start hanging at nano forums.

Why would someone not spend another $80-$100 for a purpose built DE pendent with Icecap ballast and a quality bulb? Provided you have the 8+ inches required to hang the pendent in the canopy.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey savager, thanks, i was just gonna post that link. the reflector he uses in the 150W kit is the same as the 70W kit. its not the spider reflector shown in the picture. the reflector he uses for the 70W looks kinda crappy to me...what do u guys think?

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
cali_reef said:
Why would someone not spend another $80-$100 for a purpose built DE pendent with Icecap ballast and a quality bulb?

Because it's $100 more And I dig the 14k Phoenix bulbs.

I'm going to need another 150 for my new tank. Where can I get a whole setup with an icecap ballast and a phoenix 14k for under $300?

B

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
chazertis said:
hey savager, thanks, i was just gonna post that link. the reflector he uses in the 150W kit is the same as the 70W kit. its not the spider reflector shown in the picture. the reflector he uses for the 70W looks kinda crappy to me...what do u guys think?

I used to have his 70W retro for my 12G NC. It's not the best reflector but it's ok. And it comes with UV glass. It's not the best setup but it's definately easy to setup, I am not a DIY person.

Nano-reef classified section has few used retro kit sales time to time. Maybe you should watch that forum.

What kind of tank do you have? JBJ should come out with clip on 150W light very soon. They are called JBJ Viper K-2, should cost around $200ish.

And Current has 150W Sunpod fixture, you can get it for 20" and 24". They are around $250ish. I have 20" 150W Sunpod and I love it.

I hope this help.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My Coralife 150w HQI DE tank mount fixture:

mountedproperly.jpg

Oh, not for sale, just FYI.

Russ

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
bad coffee said:
Because it's $100 more And I dig the 14k Phoenix bulbs.

I'm going to need another 150 for my new tank. Where can I get a whole setup with an icecap ballast and a phoenix 14k for under $300?

B

Here:

14k Phoenix bulb - $60
http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104653.html

ReefOptix III pendent ( I don't like them, PFO is a better pendent) - $100
http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104277.html

Icecap Ballast - $129
http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104361.html

You can probably get the whole setup a bit cheaper with free shipping from MD but I like the guys at reefgeeks for my lighting needs.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Savager said:
I used to have his 70W retro for my 12G NC. It's not the best reflector but it's ok. And it comes with UV glass. It's not the best setup but it's definately easy to setup, I am not a DIY person.

Nano-reef classified section has few used retro kit sales time to time. Maybe you should watch that forum.

What kind of tank do you have? JBJ should come out with clip on 150W light very soon. They are called JBJ Viper K-2, should cost around $200ish.

And Current has 150W Sunpod fixture, you can get it for 20" and 24". They are around $250ish. I have 20" 150W Sunpod and I love it.

I hope this help.

there are only two websites i check on my study breaks. this one and nano-reef haha. anyways, i run a jbj nc12dx at home in LA and i just bought a 29 gallon here (used to belong to jenniebutterfly). i rarely see 150W MH retrofits for sale on nano-reef but i'll keep an eye out though.

i have been following the jbj viper and current aquapod (and subsequently the sunpod). the thing is i'm used to the canopy and don't like all the light leakage. should i just forget it and go open top? i was considering the 30" 150W sunpod but since my tank is 30" long, u think it'll still fit?

ok sorry this is getting off topic...so does anyone have anything for sale?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: