FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
My question is when people say Xenia will take over my tank.... is it bad... or invasive in such a way that the dsb and live rock would stop functioning cause practically the xenia has left 0 surface area for anything else but itself?

Like would fish have zero swimming room?

Would fish not be able to swim past the thick bushes of xenia to get back to their cave/home without getting stung or attacked chemically?

Would all the pourousness of the live rock be rendered useless due to xenia clogging all of it?

this is assuming i never harvest or frag it. Which i may or may not. But just wondering how bad would it get if left alone in there.

It will be the only coral in my tank.

Basically i would LOVE to have a fowlr but completely covered in Xenia. Only not to the point where the xenia is detrimental to the Fowlr.

I would just love for the Xenia to assist in nutrient take up while pulsing in the aquarium all day. Much easier pill for my wife to swallow than the green Cheato pill. :0)

I have the choice between bigger pink/whitish looking xenia and smaller purple looking xenia.

Any difference?

If i grew one on the glass and the other on the rock would they fight chemically? Even though they are the same coral but different kind.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
LoL.... Sorry if i sounded frantic about the subject. Its just everywhere i go to read about this stuff.... get info... all i get are cries for help and people wishing they never put in to their tank.

As far as i know it can cover everything except the front glass. Hehe. but not if its gonna stop anything from functioning properly.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
dude ive seen tanks on you tube where you cant see the rock at all anymore. Which is exactly what i like but i was worried that might diminish the rocks ability to filter and house other animals.

It won't diminish any filtering capabilities and it won't do anything to the animals. The best way to contain it is proper aquascaping. You can do it so that you confine it to one area.

I have Pink Pom Pom's that are gorgeous. Let me know when you need. I'll sell you a bunch of stalks dirt cheap.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Ummm id def buy off of you. Question is how soon can i put it in my tank. I have a 56 gallon thats 2 months old. Got 70lbs of live rocks that only spent about 45minutes in my car before getting into my water. so there was only a slight spike for a day but never a real cycle.

I got a shipment from ipsf a month ago and added 2 tank bread clowns last week.

So when do u think is the earliest i can put some xenia in there?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
You should be fine. But the main reason why I told you not to worry is that people have good luck or bad luck with xenia and their water parameters can be perfect. Never figured this one out. I have so much xenia it falls of the rocks and grows in random places lol.

I've had periods where I went away and I hit 165 ppm nitrates... and uh everything some how endured lol.

kidninja

Nemo Assassin
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
I have Pink Pom Pom's that are gorgeous. Let me know when you need. I'll sell you a bunch of stalks dirt cheap.

+1, sells the best xenias out there! got some xenias for my pico after 2 week cycle and they are doing perfectly fine. also have some in my nano cube 12g and they are starting to spread and multiply! also i really think it is a hit or miss on xenias. some have very established tanks and can't even get the xenias to live while tanks like my pico that has just been started is doing fine

NYReefer

GOT FRAGS??
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
all i get are cries for help and people wishing they never put in to their tank

haha thats me for sure... i got a free frag when i first started out and ive tried multiple times to rip/cut it off the rocks... 2 years later i still have a couple of tiny polyps and the process will be repeated once they grow again.. they are cool in the way they open and close but def "take over" the tank..itll even grow on, and kill zoas!!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: