Status
Not open for further replies.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I thought they stopped breeding but now I see that she only releases her babies at night. About an hour after the lights went out I noticed my PJ Cardinal darting around gulping stuff up when I hadnt fed them. Sure enough hundreds of tiny Peppermints floating all over the tank, most overflowing straight into the Macro fuge section next door. I know I had some babies survivng a week to 10 days on their own because they found a save little corner of the fuge with no flow and they were double the size they are now. That was without any special attention and feeding the oyster eggs, rotis and live phyto plankton to my Feather Duster section that the two Shrimp live in. Sooner or later alot of that food goes through the Cheato and into the 25 gallon Macro Fuge. So apparently thats how they grew.

I know its a periodic question here. But if I wanted to siphon out some of these guys into my separate 20 gallon tank, am i right in assuming there should be no pumps in there and the only circulation should be an airpump/airstone? I will also be doing careful water changes while I feed the live Phyto and Ill be taking a trip to my fav LFS, Aqua Hut for some of their live Rotifers.

Any other advice anyone could give would be really appreciated. Id like to give it a concerted effort this time. Perhaps I can learn enough this time around to do better next time they spawn.

Thanks in advance,

-Jay

Last edited:

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Ill try, theres not much to them. Look like tiny glass stick figures trying to swim. If my 8MP cam phone can zoom in and focus enough Ill get a pic up. They are still swimmin around my fuge but there are things in there that are killing them too. So, there are definfetly enough to siphon out and try to raise, but i dont know how long they will last in the fuge. Some have overflowed a second time into the MT and they are gobbled up quickly. So I turned down the supply pump very low to keep em in the fuge longer.

Anyway ill work on that pic. There is no doubt they are Peppermints tho. Gotta research the web on raising them cuz I do want to give it a real effort to see how far i get rather than have em be fish food every time.

-Jay

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
.. yea pics aint happenin. Way too small and transluscent for any definition. I took pics but posting em would do no good as you couldnt discern if they were ornamentals. Just need advice at this point. I know Reef Online MAgazine or one of those sites have great articles on stuff like this. Was just hittin up the good folks of MR to see if any of them had somethin to offer :)

ps any way to change the title? would like to downplay my initial excitement that my Pepps were still breeding.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
lol whatve i been blacklisted? j/k No worries anyway. My fuge is no longer a safe haven for the babies. Too many things in there that wanna eat em. I watched an Amphipod drag one into the Cheato and even with little flow they were brought into the MT. All my fish were hangin out under the fuge spill. They NEVER hang out in a group over there. So I saw a couple left in the fuge but 99% have been chowed upon :-/

Ah well. Ill research it for next time, a couple cool peeps PM'd me links to breeder places. The good news is they are still actively breeding and now I know she releases them an hour after darkness hits. So Ill be prepared!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I know its a periodic question here. But if I wanted to siphon out some of these guys into my separate 20 gallon tank, am i right in assuming there should be no pumps in there and the only circulation should be an airpump/airstone? I will also be doing careful water changes while I feed the live Phyto and Ill be taking a trip to my fav LFS, Aqua Hut for some of their live Rotifers.
-Jay

Ok my knowledge is limited on this topic but here is what I can tell you. Yes move them to a separate tank and yes use an airstone. Feeding them phyto and rotifers is good but water quality must be pristine so all uneaten food and dead shrimp must be removed ASAP. Some suggest daily water changes as well to keep the water quality what it needs to be. A heater is important to keep the temp stable and some sort of kiding spot for the shrimp is also suggested by other people who have had success in raising fry of this kind. Hope this helps a little.

Closed by OP request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: