Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,

Here is the issue, these pink zoas have grown like crazy. They are nice, but are over crowding?

What do I do here? I'll post a picture and you can see what's going on. You can see the one rasta that's started to take off into the pink Zoas.

What do I do? I want to cut them back without hurting them, possibly? Or leave them alone if you think they won't kill eachother?

You can see the blue zoas in the center of the mess, still growing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 605
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Unfortunately this Palys (pink and gold) are very invasive and will take over other zoas
Even tho under blue lights they might look nice they not very desirables
Because they grow so fast they are very desirable by the beginners.
If i was u i will try to frag the rastas and others and get rid of the rock. They will come back and very fast.
Gd luck

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I finally got sick and tired of them and took one afternoon and sat there pulling them all out. Might take 2 or 3 sittings to finish them all off cause after a while you can't figure out which zoa is which

I used a long tweezer like the ones they use in fresh water aquascape

Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you saying I can just rip out the pink ones I don't want? I would love to keep them, just trim them back or cut the part of rock they are on.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Gf is laughing at me for always using a forum.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
YEAH! That's an understatement. You possibly came really close to killing yourself today.
+1. Pulling, ripping, cutting Palytoas without proper precautions and protective wear can land you in the ER, or worse...
Please take a moment to lookup palytoxin and tips on how to handle palytoas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
i made sure to change out the carbon each time i was finished, i also wear those long gloves. on the side note. why would u want to keep them ? you trip them back they will just regrow where you trimmed them. just get another zoa to replace them.

good luck buddy, try not to kill yourself.
dont touch your eyes or mouth until you are sure you have cleaned your hands very well

Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the advice!

Had a whole session with the tank last night in attempts to frag that rock up.

I started by cutting off any excess that was attached to a nearby rock, then doing a 20% water change to avoid to many toxins in the water.

I removed the colony and went at it after I finished the water change. I made sure to have my glasses on and I bought some gloves. Had everything ready and organized and just started cutting away.

I scrapped up a ton of what I didn't want, man gaged to save all the zoas I wanted, and broke up the main colony to around 5 medium colony's.

I'm still alive and I feel ok. I was super careful, really appreciate the heads up. I ended up with a cleaned rock and a ton of zoas to trade. I'm sure someone will want these

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the Neon Green ones, Not a fan at all, I ended up with Massive swelling and a Slight fever, What made it worse is I cut myself on some life rock, Don't trim these guys in the tank, If you can remove the entire rock and get some Fresh Salt water and begin the cutting outside the tank, After that get a cup or so and wash where you just cut, I'll never understand why they still even sell these guys, You're better off Getting Fire Coal lmao. Cheers Mate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: