Lab-Evolved Algae, Coral Reef Resilience, a listener call, and So you want to be a YouTuber with special guest Remy!
This week we sit down with the creator of the Bahama Llama Coral YouTube channel to chat all about getting a channel started in 2020; in addition we have a great call from our listener Noah and Jeremy gets some R&R, all this and more on episode 124 of the REEF NEWS NETWORK!
Remy- Rising ocean temperatures have devastated coral reefs all over the world, but a recent study has found that reefs in the Eastern Tropical Pacific region may prove to be an exception.
Peter- For the third time in 5 years, an underwater heat wave has turned vast stretches of coral on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef ghostly white, a desperate survival strategy that is often a prelude to coral death. Now, scientists there have taken a small step toward helping coral survive in a warmer world. For the first time, researchers have grown algae in a lab that can reduce coral bleaching, as it’s known. The results are a notable advance in the growing field of assisted evolution, in which scientists are working to alter coral genetics to help them endure hotter water temperatures.
Starting a YouTube Channel? Here are some things you’ll need:
1. Camera (doesn’t have to be anything fancy – Could be your phone!)
3. Color Correcting Lens (Clip on orange filter…Polyp Lab, Orphek, Coralvue)
4. Mic, Remy’s choice – Rode Lavelier mic for iPhone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO4A7L0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_ieDiFb1M0MWVA
The 3 Levels of YouTubers we talked about today:
1. The Documenter – you’re doing this YouTube Channel for you. You want to see your reef grow over time. This could be public or private.
2. The Presenter – you may want input from commenters, you may want to show things off and get feedback. Sharing your experience.
3. The Content Creator/Influencer – You’re writing outlines, researching, making a video with the audience in mind. Consistently posting. Sustain your hobby with extra income.
Some Tips from Remy’s experience:
-JUST DO IT. (I delayed for months and months…just do it!)
-Have thick skin. Trolls await. It’s inevitable, and they will hurt your feelings. Focus on those that connect with you rather than the people who contribute negativity to the conversation.
-Get a little better with each upload.
Reef News Network: www.reefnewsnetwork.com
Listener Calls: Noah asks, what should he 3D print with access to a printing lab at school? Go to: www.reefnewsnetwork.com and click the tab on the right side of the page to leave us a voicemail.