• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lakedawgs

Active Reefer
I have a 4" colony of star polyps that did not open today. I was looking at them at lunch and noticed a couple of whitish things about 1/8" - 1/4" long sticking up from the body of the polyps. They have little hair looking things comeing out the open end. They do not seem to have moved all day. I don't know how long they have been there, I can't see them when the polyps are open. They don't seem to pump or anything, could this be some type of sponge on my coral? I know a pic would help and I will try in the next day or two. Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Lakedawgs

A

Anonymous

I'd love to help but without a pic my guess so far would be some type of worm or snail i.e feather duster, vermetid snail, etc., though it's possible you have a sponge living in there.

Regards,
David Mohr

SuperLeet

Experienced Reefer
I know what it is
icon_sad.gif

I had them in my tank. They could possibly be nudibranchs. Star polyp eating nudibranchs. Im guessing these arnt captive bred?

A

Anonymous

I dont think I would make that leap just yet. His description doesn't really sound like a nudi, but it could be just about anything. We'd need a picture to be sure.

A

Anonymous

It would help to know if it looks like a worm or like a slug. worm is probably ok. slug is maybe bad.

Ty

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
I've got the same thing on my GSPs. Calcareous tube with a feathery head. It's just a harmless tubeworm. Mine is about 1/2" long and the head is about 1/2" in diameter. Probably not related at all to the fact that your GSPs didn't open up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: