live rock

New Reefer
Hi,
this is my first post to the reefs.org forums and would like to share a couple of pictures I had taken of these buggers when I had to strip my tank and administer a fresh water bath to my zoa colonies. However, I lost one colony to them :cry:

Attachments

• zoa eating nudibranch.jpg
    zoa eating nudibranch.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 8,202
  • zoom up of zoa eating nudi.jpg
    zoom up of zoa eating nudi.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 8,202
  • Snail.jpg
    Snail.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8,200

MoJoVac

Reefer
We just noticed a starfish hitchhiker and don't know what it is (other than the obvious). Anyone know where I can find a resource to identify it? I would like to know which species it is and if it's ok for our reef tank. It's currently about 1cm or 1/4" long. We're new to this... I have two good images but no acess to a publically accessable server. I can email to anyone the images in either full (about 4MB each) or compressed jpegs (about a meg each) and several other images of other hitchhikers I can send if I get an email address to send them...

Joe
[email protected][/img]

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 8,044

MoJoVac

Reefer
Here are some more pics, sorry we can't take the best pics...

Attachments

• DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 8,204
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 8,202
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8,198

MoJoVac

Reefer
Here are some more

PS this tank is still cycling...

Attachments

• DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 8,186
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 8,015
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 8,015

w_croft

New Reefer
I have 2 yellow tail blue damsel's, they always look a little pale in the morning, but given a quarter of an hour they colour right up. However, this morning I found what I think was a parasite on the smaller one and the damsel was looking rather more pale than usual. It was located on the inside of the right side fin. It was about 2 mm long, 1 mm wide and 1 mm high, took a freshwater bath and a pair of disecting tweezers to remove. Is anyone able to identify it for me?

Tell me I did the right thing by removing it, I felt so slack putting the little damsel in the freshwater but true to their fighting spirit, the damsel is doing well and the vibrant colour came right back within a minute of removing this thing.

Attachments

• PIC_0025.JPG
    PIC_0025.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 7,937

daewon

New Reefer
Please help identify this hitch hiking worm. I have two Fire Shrimp, a Blue Tang, two Percula Clowns, a Firefish goby, starfish, and 3 hermit crabs. Is this hitch hiking worm safe? If not, how do I get rid of it? Is there a fish or invert I can add to the tank for removal?

Attachments

• DSC01286.JPG
    DSC01286.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 7,250
A

Anonymous

I'm wondering about the dimples in this in center and left.

100_0012.jpg

All of the white tubes are feather dusters.... I'm wondering about the orange blob in the middle with the green specks... i know its not the best picture but thats all the better i could get.

100_0010.jpg

This we got on a piece of liverock we bought not to long ago... it started out white but i'm afraid that an algea that likes to take over our tank at random intervals is starting to move in... we asked about the algae in another post.

100_0005.jpg

[/img]

A

Anonymous

#1 = Coral fossil

#2 - hard to see, possibly a sponge

#3 - Coral skeleton (recently dead)

Two images for the collection:

Where, exactly, is the collection?

Attachments

• C.macropyga.jpg
    C.macropyga.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 4,439
  • amphipod.jpg
    amphipod.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4,439

Wingnutt021

Experienced Reefer
Two pretty good mantis shrimp photos.

The telltale sign of having a mantis in your setup before seeing it is the clicking noises. For months this guy has been tapping out tunnels in my live rock as I sat across the room saying, "What the heck is that sound!?"

He was still too small to take on the true perc and yellow damsel, but I lost two turbo snails and about 6 or 7 little hermits to his appetite.

Attachments

• best close up.jpg
    best close up.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,510
  • sucker.jpg
    sucker.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3,505
A

Anonymous

To answer some of the unanswered questions above, this is a majano anemone, a common pest that multiplies rapidly if not kept under control, stinging corals.

file.php

These are possibly hydroids (any other opinions? I don't have the best record in identifying hydroids).

file.php

This is feather caulerpa (Caulerpa crassifolia)

file.php

And these are harmless feather dusters.

file.php

I was kind of hoping this was a Mantis Shrimp, anyone care to enlighten me?
I reckon he snuck into the tank on fresh seaweed, (which i can't seem to keep alive)
He appears from time to time defoliating fresh sea weed.
Haven't seen him in a while though, maybe his place in the food chain caught up with him..

Attachments

• Green Machine.JPG
    Green Machine.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,055
A

Anonymous

It does look a bit like a trippy Mantis, but picking at the foliage doesn't fit that ID. Very cool critter though. 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: