• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Alas, I have no digital camera for the next couple days, but I don't know that I could photograph this thing.

A few details:
This is in a LARGE piece of Tonga LR. The specimen is living in what appears to be a cave network in the rock - there are many round holes bored into it and when I shine a flashlight into it I see the light in many of the holes. I've yet to see the entire worm at once, if it's even a worm.

Here goes:

"He" (all the gross things I find are male) is thin as a thread and solid black. The length I see extended is about 3/4" with a forked/fanned "head" on it. There could be as many as 6 tentacles on his head that reach out.
Now the reason I can't photograph him is that he moves FAST. The part I see extended comes zooming out of the holes and grabs about to the outer surface of the rock, apparently grabs something, and darts back inside. It's always grabbing at a different site around the rock and I've seen him popping out of 3 different holes now.
I estimate he reaches out and back in probably 1.5-2 times per second. He's tiny and quick.

Does that sound off any alarm bells? If not, I'll try and use the camcorder mode on my digital camera in a couple days and see if I can capture anything useful. I figure it's either an errant worm or perhaps just a tentacles of some enormous alien inside my hollow rock.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
I can't give you an ID exactly, but I wouldn't be concerned with it at all if you are seeing tentacles. It is likely fishing for tiny critters and detritous on the rock surface. Try to get a picture or video clip!

Wade

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: