lucy1971

Reefer
Is this a tube anemone on the underside of the rock?

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,744

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
the pic is too small to tell what it is but Cerianthus tube anemones usually live in the sand not on the underside of rocks.

lucy1971

Reefer
Thanks for that info. The tentacles are completely clear/see through. There are six or so skeletons on the underside of the rock and at least three open up with tentacles. When I add calcium to the water they go wild getting at least twice as long in length and swaying vigorously. Because of it's position under the rock I can't see what the central part looks like. It appears that there are two sets of tentacles but since there are 3 or 4 different ones that may not be true. The opening on top of the rock that look like they are the same never open up with tentacles. I have assumed because they are under the metal halides and since it is clear I am assume there is no photosynthesis going on. It definitely filter feeds and seems to love squid the best.

A

Anonymous

I've seen and had many featherdusters over the years, I certainly can't make that call from that photo. However the "skeleton" remark certainly speaks of a featherdusters, as much as the "clear tentacles" one doesn't.

Anyway, cool little critters. They'll multiply like crazy if you feed phyto and don't have hermits.

lucy1971

Reefer
It doesn't look like what I thought a featherduster was. I have 3 of those just found a new one yest. They all have long tube with a crown of almost dark reddish colored feather like things. These are clearly tentacles and much (total size of a half dollar) larger. The skeleton is part of the rock not on the rock( it is no a long tube but stubby part of the rock) - I have no idea if this thing makes the skeleton part or is just living in it because this rock has about 10 similar areas and only 4 have anything in them. 3 are small and then this big one. It does love calcium though and waves wildly when calcium is added to the tank. It is my favorite thing in the tank. People all think it is an anemone but I don't believe it is a true anemone but I would love to be able to tell them what it is.

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
You've got me interested in this thing now. Any chance you could take another larger picture that is zoomed in on the critter?

lucy1971

Reefer
I will try tomorrow to get a closer up picture. It is at the back of the tank and is not easy to photograph. It has been suggested that it is aiptasia which is of course very concerning but it hasn't spread (yet).

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
It does look like aiptasia from the picture, but aiptasia don't have tubes. I wouldn't be too concerned. We've all had aiptasia at one time or another.

Mthompson

Experienced Reefer
I am gonna say a cup coral of some kind.

Here is one of several I have on my rocks:
img_1114_157.jpg

and a professional pi:
Phyllangia1.jpg

Hope that helps, and your rock is probably from the Caribbean then as well.[/list]

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
That's hidden cup coral. I take it this came in on a piece of Carribean rock. I've got a piece just like it. It will thrive if you regularly feed it small plankton like foods. I feed mine Cyclopeeze and other small or finely chopped frozen food.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: