StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If anyone has any experience with handling and caring for these cephelapods please let me know, i would like to speak to you about your experiences.

I should hopefully have these by the the end of next week and the basis of my knowledge on cuttlefish are from when i had Sepia Bandensis (Dwarf cuttles).

Thanks!
-Alan from the Island ;)

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
If anyone has any experience with handling and caring for these cephelapods please let me know, i would like to speak to you about your experiences.

I should hopefully have these by the the end of next week and the basis of my knowledge on cuttlefish are from when i had Sepia Bandensis (Dwarf cuttles).

Thanks!
-Alan from the Island ;)

I would send Thales (Rich Ross) a PM as he is a true expert. You might also try to reach Allison Petty out at the LI Aquarium who is breeding them.
If you haven't already, you can check out her article in the current issue of Reefs Magazine.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looked it up tonight since I noticed how colorful they are, I thought wow that's really cool! I then thought well usually really colorful fish are usually poisonous, let me look that up and found this:

A toxicology report has found and confirmed that the muscle tissue of Flamboyant Cuttlefish is highly toxic, making it only the third cephalopod found to be toxic. Research by Mark Norman with the Museum Victoria in Queensland, Australia, has shown the toxin to be as lethal as that of fellow cephalopod the Blue-ringed octopus.
I was shocked when they compared the venom to the Blue-ringed Octo! Either way it's a really cool looking animal.

Oh edit, almost forgot the source where I got that from:
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=557

Last edited:

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Tennessee aquarium.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317396881354.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317396881354.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 215

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah, Allison Pettys article on her experience was a great story, the set up she has for them is beautiful too. I'm envious! lol

Matt - Dont worry youll know the deal lol there will be plenty of pics.

On monday i find out if i can get Pfefferi eggs or just Bandensis eggs, either way i'll be happy, but obvious be ecstatic about Flamboyant eggs!

About the toxicity, i believe (i could be wrong and will research further) that they are not poisonous to the touch, its more like a pufferfish rather than a blue-ring octopus, the poison is in there muscle tissue. So if i went to pick it up i think id be okay but i have to investigate further on that subject.

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
P.s. - MBG75 - Thats probably a pic of Sepia Officinalis or Sepia Apama (Giant cuttle) I think its an officinalis though. Those get way too big for me! Those are amazing as well though.

Theres a Cuttle we have in the Coney Island aquarium, which is what sparked this whole cuttle obsession last summer, i think theyre the same species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ZyUVrFDRE&feature=related --> One of the reasons i have always been obsessed with cuttlefish.

If you fastforward this video to 1:20 and watch the amazing transformation at 1:25-1:27 You could mistake it for being an entirely different animal at first glance. Theyre amazing..!

Cant wait to have them again!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: