d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
How do you guys dose your vodka?

What kind of gadget did you invent or pump did you buy?

I am using an old kent doser that I found in storage, 1000 ml of water with 3ml of vodka dosed over a 12-16 hour period BUT I want to automate it IF possible.

+1 vodka dosing if done correctly is an amazing way to reduce nitrate and po4

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
How do you guys dose your vodka?

What kind of gadget did you invent or pump did you buy?

I am using an old kent doser that I found in storage, 1000 ml of water with 3ml of vodka dosed over a 12-16 hour period BUT I want to automate it IF possible.

I just use a syringe from one of my test kits .5ml keeps my 60g nitrate free with feeding my fish 3 times a day. Google "vodka dosing by genetics" it's a great article explaing the process and how it works and even includes daily dosing charts you can follow.

RFADCT

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats going on, Ive had awesome luck with no nitrates. I have a 4 chamber sump. Water comes from tank into a sock, then into skimming chamber than into fuge then back to tank. My skimmer catches watever the sock doesnt and my fuge LOADED with macro eats everything else. I have the had no issues with nitrates for years. STOP OVER FEEDING. Fish always look hungry and corals need less food than you would think. I feed my fish twice day and corals twice a week. Ref snow, phyto, zooplankton, cyclops all mixed. I DONT SHUT ANYTHING OFF EITHER when I feed.Let it ride. THE SEA DOES NOT CALM DOWN SO CREATURES CAN FEED. Best of luck

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Did not see this day coming but it is here, just tested the water for nitrates and after 6 months of vodka dosing I reached the 8ml per day mark and I have zero nitrates.

I am pretty sure of the reading because I have a QT tank with one fish in it and that water tested at around 40ppm, main tank ZERO.

Vodka dosing works, now I just have to figure out how to dose it automatically and let it be hands free.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: