Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey all,

I figured id post this in the Advanced section since you guys have all had the experience with this.

I read mixed reviews about substrate material everywhere I read. I know if I ask 10 people ill get 20 different preferences.

What substrate do you all prefer for your reef tanks like Particulate size, type of material ( Crushed coral, Sand, Etc... ), Color.

I have to change my sand because what I choose was too fine and turns my tank into a snow globe. So im trying to make an educated decision on my next substrate. I want a dark sand. I feel it will make my corals pop to the eye more... Let me know all your feedback...

Looking forward to all the different responses!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
substrate

i personally find that a larger substrate is much easier to keep clean compared to a finer substrate. this is important when it comes to the inevitable tank maintenance which u will undergo in the near future. as far as better or worse, its all personal preference imo

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Personal preference - Fiji Pink. It's got a perfect grain size, .5mm to 1.5mm, so sand storms aren't a problem. And its got a nice natural color that won't make detritus stand out.

Again, JMO

Russ

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for fiji pink, bimini blue is nice also. but as most of the group said preference takes priority. as long as it is calcium carbonate base material you really cant go wrong. depth size etc are going to be based on your tank in my nano i use shallow 1 inch mixed crushed coral and fiji pink. in 75 i use 5 inch deep fiji sand bed with 1 inch of crushed coral on bottom with large eel, and soft coral. careful with colored subtrates make sure they will buffer the water.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The fiji pink that everyone is recommending is the perfect long term color and grain size for the tank. Anything bigger and any waste is going to filter through to the bottom of the sand, and anything finer you will have problems with sand storms.

That said, anything in that grain size will work, the rest is personal preference. I personally hate the black/white cichlid style sand because it reminds me of my cichlid tank and this is a SW tank. The whiter the sand the more you will curse when it starts to get darker due to coralline/dietrius.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: