Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Last edited:

Bigkahuna

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I updated to the TIR lenses last night and they do seem to actually improve the penetration quite a bit while the spread looks like it might even be better too. The whole process is pretty easy but it took the better part of half an hour to do my two fixtures having to take them down and disassemble and reassemble both. You can see the new lenses on the right compared to the old style reflector on the left:

7782721822_316c10ec8b_c.jpg

I decided to put a piece of white acrylic I had lying around on top of the tank and you can see the difference in the way the light outputs in photos with different exposures (not scientific or anything but I found it interesting nonetheless to see how the light is spread):

7782719720_63b3bb6429_c.jpg

TIR on the right
7782720602_7564a7aba0_c.jpg

Also another personal observation I made is the light seems a little more Halide-like wrt shimmer. The Radion always had good shimmer but the new one seems to produce more of those light-shafts, not sure of the proper terminology, that halides do. Halides produce those well defined light shafts that you can see from surface to sand and I think the new lenses play with the surface agitation much more so like a halide now IMHO.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Installed all of them and tested the difference. Seems like the tir is giving more of a flood of light as opposed to more of a spot light effect without the tir. Haven't tested it over my tank yet but it seems like it it will do a better job than without the lens. Also, I have a feeling we will be getting 8 more LEDs per fixture soon, uv is what I heard and purple Fiji coloration for more pop. Now it time to build my rails and take out my metal halides. Anyone want to buy 8 400 watt ushio lumen max 2 electronic ballasts lights? :Yikes:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: