Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I been having a little bit of problem with my mag alk and cal, getting them where they should be and keeping them there

I can't seem to figure out how much mag alk and cal my tank is sucking up weekly and how much should I dose of each

I have a 90 gal with a 30 gal sump
And I dose 30ml of cal and 35 ml of mag weekly
I dose with ESV
Can somebody help me out here

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I am not one for dosers. Ive had 4 or 5 friends crash there systems due to dosers. I am a calcium reactor guy and everyone i know who has a incredible tank use the cal reactor as well. Its pretty much fail proof if its used in conjunction with a controller meaning it will never overdose unless both controller and reactor go on the fritz. It can though underdose if its not monitored

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I am not one for dosers. Ive had 4 or 5 friends crash there systems due to dosers.

You see that's what I'm scared
Of ..

I am a calcium reactor guy and everyone i know who has a incredible tank use the cal reactor as well. Its pretty much fail proof if its used in conjunction with a controller meaning it will never overdose unless both controller and reactor go on the fritz. It can though underdose if its not monitored

I've never understood the calcium reactor.. I always wanted somebody to specifically teach me on how it works and how to use it
I want to buy one but it seem kind of complicated

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First what salt are you using? Second what is your Mag, Alk, Cal is 260. How much coral and Sps you have in 90. Just to start you and get you back. Add 40 ml in morning. Later same day at night just test your reading. Add another 30ml before bed. Check in morning and you should of went up to about 320 ml on cal level. Later that night check again. Remember you can go to 360 Cal. 24 hrs. So check and see what your level is again.you should add around 30ml of Cal. Also I can't tell you about Mag or ALk don't no your numbers yet. The problem is you got to get the number in stable range and your not there. Once you see your number close to what you what you don't have to test that much. but your tank you should add about 30 ml ALk and Cal. About 6 days a week. You shouldn't be adding that much Mag if any at all. Salt you using check a freshly mix and see what your levels are in that salt. If you levels on that salt brand is good do 20 gal water change too. In 3 days you water should be in range. You can add 20ml in morning and 20 ml at night and see how you increased your number. It's just a matter of maintaining that number after that . Try to use one of the better salt brand that have good levels to start.

Are you dosing 30ml once a week. You have to dose that almost every day. It has a lot to do what your system is taking form you water. So if you have a lot of coral more it will take up.

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
First step is to get your parameters to where you will like them. You will have to use an online calculator that will tell you how much liquid to add to your tank to reach specified parameters. Once your target parameters are reached you will stop dosing (and no water change during this period)and let your tank consume levels over a set period such as 3,5, or even 7 days. ( if you expect your tank to have a very high consumption rate I wouldn't go as long as 7 days.) when you test you will record how much your dkh and calcium dropped over those days. For example if you dropped 3 dkh in three days your tank consumes about 1dkh daily. You then will use a online dosing calculator to determine how much liquid to dose to replenish 1 dkh daily. Then you will have your daily dose that you may dose manually or with a doser.

I like calcium reactors too but I think they are best used on larger tanks with a high consumption rate. I currently use BRS dosers with an apex because my tank is only 65 gallons with a moderate alk and calcium usage. When I was running a calcium reactor it was difficult to tune because I did not need a lot of supplementation.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
So supposedly calculated what I had to dose to keep them stable so I dose 30 ml of calcium and 15 of alk daily since the day I started this thread
And today I test again and calcium is great of a constant 480 ppm
But the alk and the magnesium were lower than before
Now cal is 480
Alk 6.7
Mag 1260

When before they were
Cal 480
Alk 7.3
Mag 1305

I just can't get the right measurements of how much I have to dose
This is frustrating

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Raise your alk to an acceptable range.

Then wait 24 hours and test again.

Then dose accordingly.

Generally, if your levels are good then you should be dosing equal amounts of alk and cal.

Focus on getting your alk in check and everything else should follow.

Also, something else I should mention make sure your shaking the alk before you use it.

Last edited:

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
If your dosing 30 ml of calcium why are you not dosing 30ml of alk? Alk gets used up quicker then cal if anything you would want to add more alk in a day then calcium

Alk needs to be 7.0 to 11. Calcium you want right around 430. I would keep my alk at around 8 to 8.5. Then you really want to equally dose the 2 if possible. Like I said I don't understand why you are dosing 15 alk and 30 cal that doesn't seem right to me

Honestly I thought everything depletes at a different rate and if I had a lot of sps my alk would get used up faster than my calcium
And since I mostly have softies and lps in my mind I was thinking that cal was dropping faster
But now I know
Thanks

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Alk needs to be 7.0 to 11. Calcium you want right around 430. I would keep my alk at around 8 to 8.5. Then you really want to equally dose the 2 if possible. Like I said I don't understand why you are dosing 15 alk and 30 cal that doesn't seem right to me

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Raise your alk to an acceptable range.

Then wait 24 hours and test again.

Then dose accordingly.

Generally, if your levels are good then you should be dosing equal amounts of alk and cal.

Focus on getting your alk in check and everything else should follow.

Also, something else I should mention make sure your shaking the alk before you use it.

So I should dose any mag?
Is it going to go up if I raise the alk?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Im pretty new to dosing myself, i always did multiple water changes a week but its getting old. From reading and speaking with others i have gained somewhat of an understanding which is still foggy.

Anyways, there is actually no problem dosing more of one than another in a reef. All tanks like you said are different. Volume, livestock choices and coraline algae obviously play a major role in usage.

When your levels are not in check you have have different things happening that will throw off your levels even more.

The idea with a reef is to test and dose for around 2 weeks while adjusting to keep your levels in check. I shoot for 8.5 alk, 430-450 cal, and 1300 mag. Once you get these levels you should test, do not dose for 24 hours and test again. Then see your results. You should be able to recognize your usage. If not, repeat. These test kits can be finiky and and testing experience helps recognize levels. Always test the same time, I test in the evening and split my doses up to an am and pm dose.

I personally check levels and only visually see a change in my alk. Calcium always looks the same to me daily but if i dont dose i can watch it go out of wack with 2-3 days. So, I still dose the same amount for both alk and cal and everything has been great.

If your alk is dropping and you really don't really see a change in calcium then dose equal amounts of both alk and calcium. Then start weekly checking levels and watching your livestock. If you see any change like calcium getting to high etc then you can start adjusting.

Make sense?

If your dosing esv like I am you can see that you need to dose approximately 1ml per gallon to raise alk 2.8 dkh an 1 ml per gallon to raise calcium 15 ppt.

If your dosing 30 ml on your tank of alk follow it with a 30 ml of calcium. You should be dosing each in flow and should be waiting in between both doses.

I generally use to keep my mag in check with weekly water changes. You could probably get away with weekly doses or water changes to replenish if your doing a mixed reef.

Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
usually what i tell people is test all 3 before wc, and then 4 or 5 hours after wc and see where wc put levels, and then dont dose for the whole week between ur wc and retest right before wc and figure what ur consumption is this will help to figure your daily dosage
Stole this from another member. This is what I have done in the past

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
your alkalinity swing still is not that bad. You have your alkalinity set on the low end(7.3). If you started with an Alkalinity of 7.3 dosing like this since august 23 and your alkalinity is only off by .6DKH in 1 whole month of dosing, I would say you dont have a a big problem. Do not chase alkalinity to be an an exact number all the time. give it a range. In my tank with my current dosing schedule my Dkh is always anywhere in-between 8.5 DKH to 9.5 Dkh.

the first step you should have taken is to get your all calcium and mag to balanced levels. Do You want to maintain an Alk Of about 7DKH? IMO I always had better results staring at 8DKH(unless you are zeovit or carbon dosing)
So supposedly calculated what I had to dose to keep them stable so I dose 30 ml of calcium and 15 of alk daily since the day I started this thread
And today I test again and calcium is great of a constant 480 ppm
But the alk and the magnesium were lower than before
Now cal is 480
Alk 6.7
Mag 1260

When before they were
Cal 480
Alk 7.3
Mag 1305

I just can't get the right measurements of how much I have to dose
This is frustrating

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: