Which Fuge Option is best?

• Create a new sump out of 30Gal tank with larger fuge section.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm currently scoping incorporating a fuge into my tank. Which is currently a 75 Gallon (30X24X24) with approx 15 gal sump (20X20X16).

Here is where the guidance is needed.

There is a small section on my sump, about 6"X6" I can use to house Chaeto or some other easy to maintain algae but am thinking the section is too small to really contribute. Besides I'm also thinking the flow rate through that section may be too much.

Now I do have enough room on the side of my tank to house a separate 10-20 Gal tank to use for a fuge. But will need rework my plumbing to get it going.

Third option is change the sump to a 30 gallon tank (30X12X18) build out a larger section for the fuge.

My goals for the fuge:
- to promote pod growth.
- Grow some beneficial algae I can feed my tangs
- Nutrient export

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would opt for no fuge at all unless your able to dedicate at least 25-30% or more of your total water volume to it if your looking for nutrient export. The liter of water in the phosban reactor does Po4 export much more efficiently. And once you dedicate that much fuge area you run into other problems like major nutrient export and stripping your tank of the more beneficial stuff. If your going to set up a small tank or dedicate sump area it would be mainly to grow tang food, and with algae growth rates its more like a tank snack growth area once a month. Pods will get chewed up by the pumps and/or for the most part never leave the fuge area. On the other hand if your taking out the algae to feed the tangs you should have pods moving to the display.

If you do want one set up for various reasons then it would be better to upgrade your sump to a larger size. Less work setting up a separate pump and plumbing, less unsightly tank clutter near your display, and the extra sump area is an overall plus.

Also, if you do a fuge do it the right way. A ball of cheato taking up a 12 x 12 area of your sump is nice but a waste of resources. Do the miracle mud, the mangroves, a decent small LED light and various algae types for your tangs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: