ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Need help please.

My reef tank is infected with red bug and I am looking for ways to get rid of them. Did some online readings and most of them says a product called interceptor from the vet.
if you had experience on how to treat red bug (acropora) in your reef tank, would you please share.

thank you
Farmer

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
where can I buy the interceptor? most online places have this product on back order at this time (3-4 months waiting)
I do not think I will be able to catch my shrimps, will it harm the red blood shrimp (fire shrimp) and blue leg hermit crabs?
thanks

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I used it 2 times on my 120 packed reef tank I took out as many hermits as I can and as many shrimo as I coukd some I had to leave and chance it .all the shrimp that were left in the tank made it I lost 3 ckeaner shrimp that I pulled out .also if u cant catch the shrimp wait around when u put the interceptor in it seams to daze and confuse them so they are very easy to catch then .I woukd try and catch as many as u can before then do the interceptor and standby with a net to catch any others that come out confused .it worked well for me and killed the red bugs its just hard to get interceptor

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
You cannot buy Interceptor over the counter. You need to get it from a Vet. Since you are in Boston, why don't you contact someone in the Boston Reefers club and see how their members obtain it? If you have a Vet for your other animals I'd print out the descrition of what the bugs are, the detailed protocol for treatment and ask your Vet if you can buy some. Most say yes IME. However, there are rumors that Interceptor production has been discontinued. I'm not sure about that.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
You will have to go to a vet and explain your situation and show them on paper that reef hobbyist use this drug for the pest. it took me 5 vets before one finally gave it to me. you cant buy inteceptor at a store it is a prescription only medication

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Last edited:

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I called some local vet and they all said bring in your sick dog or cat. I told them that I need this medicine to treat red bug parasites in the reef tank and was willing to pay for the office visit but they said no.

any dip medicine that can do the job as an alternative to interceptor?

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
they do not carry it anymore for some reason it got recalled and they just stopped production, you have to find a vet that did not send it back and is willing to give you some, see if they have any expired ones lying around since they are not able to prescribe a expired med to a dog. if you cant get it you can just go without acros for a while, and i do mean a while, if you want to try to control them there is a pipefish that eats them but that wont take care of them all. you can also try to dip them in a mix of tank water and bayer advanced complete insect killer(yes its a bug killer for around the yard), there should be a thread or two about it on here with that you would have to dip all acros and the surrounding rocks

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
to go without acro? you are killing me softly with the words.

all i have in my reef tank is just sps (80% are acro and the other 20% are cap and monti)
I only do sps.

thanks

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
not sure what the chews are but im assuming it would be the same main ingredient, google the dosing directions they are either on rc or r2r i believe

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
unfortunately what i posted are the only possible methods, 1, starvation. 2, natural predator. 3, bayer dip or 4, interceptor and interceptor is the only 100% guarantee, its not just one dose you have to do you have to double or even tripple dose it 3 or 4 times a week apart doing 50% water changes 12 hours after the doses. trust me its a pain in the ass and the only reason i came across interceptor was a miracle

to go without acro? you are killing me softly with the words.

all i have in my reef tank is just sps (80% are acro and the other 20% are cap and monti)
I only do sps.

thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: