B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Okay so I have been running my Bio-Pellet Reactor for about 3 months now and water conditions are great. About 1 month ago I added my 3 Tangs (Blue Hippo Tang, White Cheek Gold Rim Tang and a Blue Hippo Tang). They have been eating me out of house and home (they eat Rod's Food Seaweed Sheets, about two sheets per day at a minimum). They are active swimmers and never had an issue. But yesterday I came home to find the start of Marine Ich (mostly on the Blue Hippo Tang but some slight signs on the other two). I have stopped using my UV Sterilizer because of of the Bio-Pellet Reactor but I'm thinking that my reactor has built up a nice bacteria colony within the last three months inside the reactor. Would it be logical to fire up the UV Sterilizer to at least assist in killing the Marine Ich when their in their free floating stage? I'm thinking it should cause minimal to no effect on the Bio-Pellet Reactor since all the magic happens within in. What are your thoughts?

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
While I dont have bio-pellets I have been reading about them and theres nothing to suggest that you cant run the uv with the bio-pellets. You might want to give some consideration to removing either the PBT or the White Cheek. It might seem like they are playing with each but in reality its probably aggression and this is causing stress in the tank which is probably causing the ICH outbreak. Good luck with the ich! Im going thru it right now with a purple tang....he has become very aggressive towards the other tangs and its stressing everyone out. I have an outbreak of ich right now and I am feeding my way thru it.

Good luck!!!!

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
UV sterilizers kill both bad and good things in the reef. i would reconsider using unless u are setting up a separate hospital tank. which in that case would be beneficial to run, to kill the free swimming ich or other parasites

F22

Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
No. You should not turn off the u.v. sterilizer as this is used for a different application as the bio pellets. the bio pellets are meant to reduce phosphates in the aquarium where as a u.v. sterilizer is used to kill waterborne pathogens, viruses, and parasites. hope this helped -matt

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I believe it says not to run UV or GFO with Zeovit in the guide somewhere. I am guessing it would be the same for pellets. IE reduce the effectiveness by killing good bacteria. not to mention killing pods and all kinds of other good things.

not sure though ~

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: