c griseum

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ive been using MicroVert for years to feed SPS/LPS/Clams and basically anything else that will consume it. I target feed SPS and also broadcast feed some of it so the whole tank gets a little bit.
The problem is, Ive read countless threads on Coral foods and what people are feeding their corals and i havent really seen anyone else using Kent MicroVert....
I've had success with it, never any problems.
Whats the general consensus on the stuff?

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I've used microvert in the past, what I have noticed is that the coral do not tend to open up as nicely when compared to when I feed with reef chili or oysterfeast. I'm thinking of moving the route of using microvert for the sps fluval edge i have started. nitrate levels tends to spike with the oysterfeast.

c griseum

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So with microvert you see less of an impact on water quality I assume? This is one of the things im concerned with because i value reef nutrition as important as water quality and lighting. Learned this from reading Anthony Calfo. Ive been concerned with increasing nitrate from microvert, but if in your experience it has less of an impact, than thats a plus.
Do you spot feed or broadcast?

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
microvert does have an impact on nitrates, however i found that oysterfeast has an even larger ones. I prefer spot feeding as there is less food that is wasted into the filter socks.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thats correct, for my larger tanks i'll shut off all pumps when spot feeding.

For the edge, i'll turn off the power of the filter for half an hour but leave the powerhead on. I'll target feed the things i can reach but depend on the koralia to broadcast the food to areas in the tank i can't really get to. I guess the spot feeding for the nano tank is more of a cross than a true spot feeding method.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: