Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
To all of the large tank owners. What are you use to maintain calcium? Do you run calcium reactor or dose two part or all above? Having my self 250g SPS tank I use Bubble Magus to dose 2 part Alk and Cal and I am happy with the results, the only thing is I use so much of it and I know this hobby is not cheap, but I was thinking if calcium reactor will be cheaper way? What do you opinion?

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I'm using the MTC ProCal Reactor and love it. It's more cost effective than 2 part. I also run a Kalk reactor through a liter meter.

And you forgot to add that your tank look awesome!

So Jim you don't add anything more? I may consider getting one too. In addition to dosing two part I am dosing kalwaser too by dripping method too.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
And you forgot to add that your tank look awesome!

So Jim you don't add anything more? I may consider getting one too. In addition to dosing two part I am dosing kalwaser too by dripping method too.

Occasionally I have to add Mag. and once a week I dose Lugol's. I know someone that has a used ProCal. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
It depends on the contents of your tank, If you have a dominant sps tank I would say a calcium reactor is your way to go.
I ran a Calcium reactor for about 8 months, till my levels started shifting. I don't have much sps or clams in my tank. A calcium reactor delivers a balanced calcium, and alkalinity at the same time, in my situation the alkalinity was being consumed more then calcium. I went back to 2 part dosing, and adding the recomended magnesium when the bottles were done. I also dose iodine once a week into my sytem as well.

SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm using the MTC ProCal Reactor and love it. It's more cost effective than 2 part. I also run a Kalk reactor through a liter meter.

+1 But i also dose BRS 2 part, mainly because i want to get thicker coralline algae. I know that there are many variety of coralline algae, and lighting contributes as well. however, from my observation, it seems like the coralline algae you get from Ca reactor is lighter and more like a fine dust encoding, whereas, coralline algae that fluorish from two part dosing seemed more thicker and deeper in color. Just my theory...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: