Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I been wanting to buy a tank but I don't have the stand for it and the stand has to be made

I was thinking of making it with wood but I def. don't know how to deal with none of that either have the tools for it .. I don't even know how much would it even cost me

Then I thought of just getting a metal stand and I can buy play wood and build a case that I can take out whenever.

Good idea?
Is there any cons or pros on this ? Would it cost me more ?

Any opinion and advice will be appreciated

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have used metal stands in the past and the one issue is that they rust something terrible. I guess you could powder coat it or something to help prevent the rust, but the factory paint coat is a joke. The nice thing though is they give you more space under the tank when compared to a wood stand.

That said, if you plan on buying the tools to build a facade for the metal stand then I would suggest just building yourself the frame out of wood also.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
basically your just avoiding building the frame. i think it would be more expensive. the finished exterior wood is expensive 2x4s are cheap.

Yes I'm avoiding building the frame .. I just don't know how to put that puzzle together .. I don't know what dimensions are the best or what type of wood to buy

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have used metal stands in the past and the one issue is that they rust something terrible. I guess you could powder coat it or something to help prevent the rust, but the factory paint coat is a joke. The nice thing though is they give you more space under the tank when compared to a wood stand.

That said, if you plan on buying the tools to build a facade for the metal stand then I would suggest just building yourself the frame out of wood also.

I was thinking of going to one of the welding places to see how much they would charge
Hoping it would be cheaper and easier

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You could post a Want To Buy thread for someone to build you a stand since you don't have the tools to do it. There are a number of folks on here who would do it for you.

Is the tank not a 'stock' size that you can find a pre-made stand for it?

Metal stands - even with a wood sheathing don't usually look very good long term :(

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
You could post a Want To Buy thread for someone to build you a stand since you don't have the tools to do it. There are a number of folks on here who would do it for you.

Is the tank not a 'stock' size that you can find a pre-made stand for it?

Metal stands - even with a wood sheathing don't usually look very good long term :(

Thanks Kathy ill do that and see
The tank is a 30" cube

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yes I'm avoiding building the frame .. I just don't know how to put that puzzle together .. I don't know what dimensions are the best or what type of wood to buy

sorry, didn't mean that you were actually avoiding but eliminating the stand. like cathy said I'm sure other members will help. i would give you a hand but your kinda far. i can look at a tank and figure out how to make the stand but when it comes to programing my controller I'm lost, i get my son to do it.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
sorry, didn't mean that you were actually avoiding but eliminating the stand. like cathy said I'm sure other members will help. i would give you a hand but your kinda far. i can look at a tank and figure out how to make the stand but when it comes to programing my controller I'm lost, i get my son to do it.

Oh I would gladly appreciate it
At least to design the frame of the stand
The outside and decoration I can do
The tank is basically a 30x30x30

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bry17nyc, Ever look into 80/20 for a stand. Should be cheaper than having someone make a metal stand and since its aluminum it won't rust. You can call R.W.EARL at (518) 373-2101and ask to speak o someone about an 80/20 project. Go to http://www.8020.net and look through some of the solutions pages to get ideas. Good luck, Neil.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: