Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am having problem with brown algea problem in the tank. My ph is 8, phosphate is 0.4, nitrate is between 20- 30 alk is 6
I use rodi unit,my light running only 8 hrs.
I know im having nitrate problem, but how you solve this.
I do water change 5 gallon every week. I put frozen food, my skimmer is oversize aquac ev240 (my tank only 90 gallon), get new filter sock, i have 2 ecotech mp40 for circulation. My tank only have 10 small fishes ( yellow tang, hippo, 2 clwn, 3 chromis, and 3 barlett) and i still have nitarte problem.
Im trying to install cal reactor but now im affraid the algea gonna take over the tank cause the co2.
Pls help me thx

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
On the rock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 235

cody0709

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
That's diatom, part of cycling process, it will disappear in a couple of weeks!
Get some turbo snails, blue leg hermits, lawn mower blenny, and a goby.
Do 20% water changes 2 times a week for the next couple of weeks.

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
how big is your tank that you make only 5 gallon of water change and does you RO membrane still good? more frequent water changes are needed !! try not to use salt for reef use for the time being !! as they have more minerals and metals sometimes that can make it harder to solve this issue ! good luck

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Justin, 10 fish is on the high end of stocking, especially for a tank as new as yours. As Cody said, I would be doing 10 gallons weekly. Your filtration/husbandry is failing you. Time to step it up, or lower bioload. .4 is extremely high po4 you should get some GFO running right away.

Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I would agree- 10 gallon changes each week. The nitrates are not that bad.
How long since tank was cycled? 10 fish in that size tank is ok but it depends on how mature tank is and on how much time you give it as you add the fish.

Jan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the algae look like slimey, like mucous? Does it appear to be dripping down the back wall? What I'm seeing in the picture does not look like diatom algae to me. It may be dinoflagella.

On a 90 gallon with algae issues I'd aim for at least 10% water changes a couple of times a week or 20% once a week, increase flow in dead spots and reduce light cycle.

Consider cutting back on feedings if you feed a lot. If when you feed there's food still floating around after 3-5 mins, you're feeding too much. Feed small portions (enough that will be eaten in 3-5mins) and feed more often, 2-3 times a day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: