ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Besides making sure your tank is well balanced for your SPS, do you feed them?
If so,
What are your favorite products?
How do you use them?
How often do you feed?
Do you feed at night after lights are off and pumps are in sleep mode?
Do you notice a difference in growth and color?

I finally feel comfortable with keeping sps and I'm just wondering what I can do to turn it up a notch? Small Polyp Steroids? Lolll

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I use oyster feast sometimes phyto,a few drops every few days when the mh goes off and blues on.I stir the sand up once in a while to be honest I think the corals respond best to that,the polyps and lps feeders come out right away.Cant tell how much it really makes them grow I been feeding since I had coral in the tank.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
"I stir the sand up once in a while to be honest I think the corals respond best to that,"
True, but try to check PO4 before and after u stir the sand, PO4 go 10X up, u will got more Algae. That the reason i dont like sand. Vio.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
IMO, trying to feed everything in the tank is sort of a beginner's fever. Not saying all people that do it are beginners, but usually, people starting in the hobby think reef tanks need chemicals, foods of different sorts for the magic to happen. The issue is the market really capitalizes on this missconception, and people spend lots of money on foods and many more on corals that die of poor water quality.
Best thing to ever do to an SPS tankis to leave it alone and make sure it has the basics stable. I mean, light, temp, ca/alk/mg and low waste. Feed the fish and do WC( religiously weekly). Dont mean to sound like a bore, but inventing new things will destroy your tank someday. I upgraded my tank recently and due to a rush transport of corals to the tank, shocked the sps with temperature change and some bleached now recovering. Before then i had great success with sps by playing the basics rule.

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
One thing to remember is sps get only 15% of their needs outside the photossynthesis, and there hasnt really been proof that those corals can digest most of the cultured foods offered in the market making most of the "sps foods" fish foods.

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Your right the key is patience and water changes .....my prob is getting my cal mag and alk back up because I added to many corql at once and I cant rush pushing the parameters back up and put em into shock

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have mixed zoos, ricordia, LPS, SPS and a few sponges.
I used Marc Weiss "its alive" dried phytoplanton Reef Bugs for a year, but stopped now that I have a continuous colony of phytoplanton in my tank. Have to wipe the glass every day. What I do now, is grind up a table spoon of New life spectrum pellets and drop in the powder slowly over half an hour during dusk, while only the actinics are on. I do this every other day and the LPS all open up to feed. Plus it feeds all the micro fauna and goes up the food chain. Some of the SPS put out this white fuzzy stuff (tenticles) to digest it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: